"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 11 November 2009

If I Were a Writer of Fiction

I swear I would not be able to imagine many of the scenarios we see in the Council Chamber. Last night's meeting was a prime example. It was a comedy of errors.

I had been the presiding member at the previous Tuesday's Council in Committee Meeting. I do not believe the presiding member should participate in debate. So I didn't. The theory is the chair should exercise impartiality.

I did indicate I would reserve my comments for the Council meeting which I did...last night.

Items I called for discussion were two separate recommendations of the Traffic Safety Committee.I had barely begun , when Councillor Granger called a point of order. Mayor Morris supported the point. Councillor Collins Mrakas asked if the Mayor was ruling the point in order. If so, she challenged the ruling

In the ensuing melee, the mayor promptly declared a recess and left her seat.

Rules require a recess to be moved ,seconded and approved by council.

If the presiding member leaves the chair, a meeting is automatically adjourned It cannot be re-convened until proper notice given and an agenda published . But no matter.

After a few minutes , the mayor moved back around the table and stopped at Councillor
Collins Mrakas' place. Turning from the cameras in seeming smiling congeniality, she said;

"People can see right through you, you know"

The Collins in Mrakas is Irish. The reaction was swift but quiet.

The Mayor took her seat and the meeting continued with the usual histrionics.

When we adjourned, something else happened which has become normal practice since before Lucille King left the town's employment.

Normally, Councillors McRoberts,myself and Councillor Collins Mrakas leave the Town Hall promptly at the end of a meeting. By the time I climb into my car and look back, no-one else has followed..

Last night I was slightly tardy in my departure. I noted the mayor and the inner circle of power were waiting. I lingered...still no move.... I left.... and peered in the window, my nose pressed to the glass. They had clustered and were lost in discussion.

Do you know, any time a majority of Council is present in one place carrying on a discussion....
that is a council meeting which has neither been publicised nor has the agenda been disclosed.

The really weird thing is there probably isn't one among them who understands that..

6 comments:

Anonymous for a reason said...

Mayor Morris could address her comment to herself. We can see right through her Mayorship. Last night's council meeting was a disgrace.
I'm ashamed that I voted for her.

Countdown to Nov 2010 said...

Mayor Morris continues to make a ridiculous spectacle of herself. Unfortunately, that ridicule is also being cast upon our fine town.
I was aghast at her antics at council last night. Lecturing and pontificating. It is past discomfort for me to watch.
She really DOESN'T get it. Which is interesting, as that is what she used to say about Tim Jones.
She thinks she is clever, but she simply isn't clever enough.
Perhaps we need a Smitherman type announcement from a potential mayoral candidate?

White Knight said...

I think it's about time we did something formal about the bullying and abuse that is dished out by the mayor during council meetings and I assume the rest of the time too.
I think I will examine our abuse legislation carefully.

Anne said...

Does not seeing through someone mean the person is transparent? Is this not a good thing? Is this not what the mayor promised of all of Town Council should she get elected? Councillor Collins-Mrakas has more class, ethics and professionalism in her little finger than the other crass, unethical and amateur six have all put together.

Holding Up A Mirror said...

"People can see right through you, you know"

Mayor Morris: Pot. Kettle. Black.

Fred said...

I agree with Anne. AC-M has more integrity and ethics than Phyllis and her cronies. The problem is that they haven't the intellect to realize this. They truly believe that they are in the right in everything that they do.
The citizens of Aurora do indeed see right through Mayor Morris, and she'll get that message should she be foolish enough to run for re-election.
The Mayor has started her election campaign. She must be challenged at every opportunity. She does not do well in one-on-one conversations if she doesn't have her spin developed by her backroom boys (and girls Sue and Sher). Use those opportunities to see the real Phyllis Morris. It is enlightening.