"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 30 November 2009

An Unforgettable Invitation

It was probably three decades ago. I was invited to an afternoon reception at Eaton Hall. I'm not social in the societal sense. But I was comfortable in the friendship and I happily accepted with my young daughter Heather.

It was cheerful and enjoyable. Then it became clear something else was afoot. New guests were arriving and Owen Slingerland, the Region's Medical Officer of Health appeared in full Scottish regalia complete with bagpipes.

Owen is passionate about his Scottish heritage. He is to be found wherever there's an event and he always has a hug for me.

This time he was there as a guest and to eventually pipe fellow honoured guests to their places at Dinner Table.

I was not one.

It was a moment of enlightenment about the qualified nature of the friendship with my hostess. I did not expect it.

I've never understood it. I did not withhold my friendship after but I was always aware of the implication of the hidden contradiction.

I have had another invitation. A Christmas Celebration is planned for Senior staff and Council to dine together at the Church Street School Heritage Centre on the evening of December 18th.

Other Town employees and their families are invited to a reception from three to five p.m. that same afternoon.

Shades of the Past.

This time, the invitation will not be accepted.

2 comments:

Bah, humbug! said...

And these multiple, two-tiered 'celebrations' are at taxpayers' expense, of course. It's easy for the mayor to spread Christmas cheer (yeah, right) when someone else is footing the bill - even if some receive more "cheer" than others.

...Are there no prisons? No workhouses?...

Elizabeth Bishenden said...

Well, I can kind of see it.

It's not unusual for senior staff to have one party and the helpful others to have another party.

Usually the events are separate.

Maybe that's to keep the proletariat out of the good whiskey.

Or maybe it's to prevent them from pointing out the labels on the good bottles to "their betters".

Enjoy Advent!