"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 29 November 2009

Santa's Coming

The numbers at the Parade Under The Stars indicate more children than ever before will receive a visit from Santa in Aurora on December 25th.

I didn't see the Parade because I was in it. I rode Scooter. There's a canopy I can buy but it's black. I want a splash of colour with a fringe. I might find an artisan who can make it for me.

It was great to see all the little faces and babes in arms gazing in wonderment. It's the stuff of memories. My daughter Heather decorated Scooter. Since she was a little girl she has loved doing things like that.

We kept buying candy and looking at the pile. Then we bought more and more again. Shows how much we knew. My grand-daughter Robyn and her life -long friends, Emeline and Juliet were handing it out. It vanished before we reached the Wellington intersection. I need a wagon for Scooter to hold enough candy.

Heather made me a fluffy fleecy white scarf. Little ones called out to me "Hi Santa". One masculine voice called "OH MY GOD"

I wore a sequined beret I bought in New Orleans. I wanted to buy one of those beaded fringe caps. I thought it would too much. Now I wish I had both. At my age, nothing is too much. I love things like painted fans and beaded fringe. They are so pretty and not the least practical or modern. So what!

There were thousands of children. At Our Lady of Grace Church, they were on the sidewalk and above. Hilary House was pitch dark but John McIntyre's house had a couple of ladders reaching to the roof and lights on in upstairs rooms. It looked quite ghostly.

Crowds were up on the lawn at Park Place Manor as well and they watched from windows. At intersections, people were seven or eight deep. Stores were brightly lit and lovely. We have very nice shops in our town.

If you have expendable resources, give local business a look- see. They support all our special events and deserve your patronage.

As a sign of the times, Tim Jones and Neighbourhood Network were collecting gifts for the food bank. Times are lean for many families in Aurora this year.We need to share.

I thought of Pat Barber, a Holman Crescent neighbour. She was a founding member of our Aurora Arts group who delighted in organising a neighbourhood float for parades. When she died, photos of her work was featured in the chapel as part of her legacy.

There were many groups of young people walking in the parade. They should have had theme floats. I don't know what kind of support that takes. Norm Weller was a huge factor in gearing up the trucks and tractors and flat beds which are the base for any parade.

Shelley Ware is our town events organiser now. Everyone acknowledges Shelley is a genius at what she does. But everything depends on community support. When people are stressed, it doesn't take much for enthusiasm to dwindle.

Last night more small persons than ever were lining the street. As always, their childhood memories of growing up in Aurora were being fostered and nurtured.

We are doing a good job I think but it can only happen with a wagon full of good will.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bishenden said...

You were spectacular.

The parade was spectacular.

It was a lovely evening, and a great investment in the community.

Anne said...

Evelyn, we were so happy to see you in the parade - you looked amazing and your smile lit up the night!

Keep on doing what you are doing! Your love of this town shines through in everything you do.