"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 14 April 2010

It's An Ongoing Dilemma

I am still marvelling at the opportunity for instant communication. I value the feedback. It makes no difference to me if people don't identify themselves.

It may be fanciful and I don't want to be condescending but I think some respondents may be discovering a new outlet for expression. Like I did.

Sometimes a comment indicates a lot of thought with only one discordant note. It 's probably self-indulgent on my part but I don't want to reject it.

There's a thoughtful one in the comment box now that ends with a suggestion of physical harm towards the Mayor . I know I can't publish it but I wish I could explain why . So I keep it.

I agree hyperbole can detract from logical argument.

But I'm reluctant to throw away a contribution to the discussion as if it doesn't count.

There is such a thing as poetic licence. I know it's not that. But maybe there should be a parallel
figure of speech for the new dimension. I did think twice about posting the comment. Then I thought I would publish it for a little while then "collapse" it.

Now I find because there is only one comment to that post, the " collapse" option isn't available. .

Sometimes I feel guilty that Phyllis is the probably the first Mayor of Aurora to be subject to this new communication .

Then the terrible twins will do something else that makes it easy.

I've been in politics a long time. It doesn't grow you a thick skin like people imagine. It keeps you on your toes in the thrust and parry. What they do to me is not what matters. I can be quite clinical

It's what they've done to people who couldn't fight back that brings out the worst in me.

I have never claimed to be a saint. Not even to myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Councillor Buck,
I think it is my comment to which you refer.
Where did I suggest physical harm to the Mayor?
If you are referring to "take her out" of office, then your selection of comments to post are becoming suspect.
Or was it because I agreed with Robert the Bruce?
I'm an ardent reader and participant on your blog, but I fear that it will lose relevance when you let the silliness of "a filthy nag's head in chain" and "Mare" continue.
Just sayin'.

Unknown said...

I believe, Mr. or Ms.Anonymous, the comment was mine and it did allude to a tree and clothesline. I take full responsibility for it.