"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 27 October 2011

And sae The Lord Be Thankitt

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Hey, Look me over...Lend me your ear.":

Oh Dear no. We couldn't have that. Let's point the finger at  municipal councillors instead and make them  legally liable..

Oh no... council wants the control over a department but not the "legal liability"? Why not? It is council that makes the decisions that ultimately contribute to the quality - or lack of quality of the water. Perhaps the legal liability would force councils to think things through better.

As far as the cost of water.... You get what you pay for. If water quality is ensured... I will pay for it.

****************

I had a conversation with Wendy Kemp this morning. Wendy made the presentation on" risks to water" to council on Tuesday. I needed to clarify a response to a question about road salt. Listeners thought the answer was, we don't use road salt. I  knew that wasn't right but I needed to check.

We do use salt. We have to. But apparently not enough  to  risk the water supply.

I confirmed  once again what I knew  to be true.

We  have an excellent supply of excellent water. The aquifer is way,way down in the earth,  separated from the surface by an impermeable layer of clay. It is over four thousand years old.

We have a string of kettle lakes in the  area and there's  a theory, they are linked by an underground river.  Rivers lakes and streams are not created by rain or snow  They are spring fed.

We are fortunate. We should be thankful not fearful.

The region is responsible for the supply of water .The town is responsible for its distribution.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The region is responsible for the supply of water .The town is responsible for its distribution.

So.... which of these is responsible for water quality?

Anonymous said...

I'se The B'y that builds the boat and
I'se The B'y that sails her and
I'se The B'y that catches the fish and
Brings 'em home to Liza

Salts and rinds to cover your flake,
Cake and tea for supper
Cod fish in the spring of the year,
Fried in maggoty butter

I don't want your maggoty fish
They're no good for winter
Well I can buy as good as that,
Way down in Bonavista!

There is more but I thought I would send you a bit of Canadian literature to help neutralize some of your Scots.

What say we both have a good snort of our famously potent national drinks and file the rest?

Anonymous said...

Now let's just make the sharing of costs equal
throughout the town and we can put that matter to
rest. Well done, Evelyn, I don't think the usual
nay-sayers will come back at you again.