"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 2 March 2013

In Hockey Parlance

I always come to Council in good  spirits.  I  don't expect everything to be sweetness and light. I'm just a happy warrior in the place I am meant to be and ready for whatever presents itself.

When I came back to Council in 1981,Mayor Timpson must have been having a crisis of confidence.  For no obvious reason he  precipitately exercised his authority  to bang the little wooden gavel loud, hard and repeatedly at my first utterance. 

I promptly banged  back on the table with the little marble pen holder  provided to each Councillor. It was the only weapon available.

At the time, Ron Wallace and Dick Illingworth had a weekly T.V. show called Dickie and Ronnie. They invited me  to  chat. 

Three of my boys were  playing hockey.  Much of my  time was spent at the arena and of course, watching  Saturday  Night in Canada.There was only one T.V. in the house.

I drew the analogy of being smashed into the corner boards. 

I said; "If  you get  smashed into the boards, you smash your way   out." 

"You don't wait for the referee to arrive and help you out."

" If you do ,  they just keep  coming back and smashing you into the boards"

George never banged the little wooden hammer  at me again. 

In a Council meeting, every one must  respect  each other's rights.
If you don't, nobody respects anyone's rights.

Respect must be mutually accorded to be effective.  

At the first meeting of the last Council , I had  spoken three words when former Councillor Mac Eachern interrupted me with a Point of Order. I responded with an apology. 

When  I started to speak again , former  Councillor Wilson interrupted  with another contrived point of order. Again my response  was humble.

Gleeful glances  were exchanged in contemplation of the fun  planned at my expense.

 I was the odd man out completely at the time.Only myself  alone to depend upon.

Former Councillor Wilson took to rolling his eyes into the top of his head and letting his tongue hang out of the side of his moth, each  time I spoke. The camera frequently caught him in that pose and residents  watching at home let me know  what a sight it was. 

It was  August , nine  months after the start of the term I  gingerly started writing the blog.

The tune quickly changed.  Squeals and yelps filled the air.

"She cannot be allowed to undermin Council like this"

Now  Councillor Ballard  is  tweeting.  People tell me I am frequently the target. But tweets  have no presence  in the Council Chamber. 

They can be ignored. 

On Thursday a workshop was held at the old  library; purpose being  to provide the public an opportunity " to dream"  of  the building's potential .

Few  people gathered. . Councillors Thompson and Ballard ,Messrs Gordon Barnes and Klaus Wehrenberg,. former Mayor Morris ..  Parks and Rec Director chaired the meeting and a  neighboring resident  I have known well for  forty-seven years.attended. 

I received a call  Friday.My friend  provided   her vision at the workshop  that the building should be demolished to fulfill  the  desperate need for parking. 


Councillor Ballard sought to advise her privately of a study that shows  250 parking spaces in the neighbourhood.The study is at least eight years old , prior to the Culture Centre activity.  

But the Councillor  volunteered  further information.   "A  woman on Council  is pushing for the land to be sold and privately developed."

Three women  Gaertner ,Humpfryes and myself are Councillors.

At no time have I heard a Councillor, man or woman, suggest the property should be sold  for private development  

Under these circumstances, I  believe Councillor Ballard's  statement may not  be considered benign. N evidence  suggests  its veracity.

One  can  therefore conclude Councillor Ballard must wear it.

Liar Liar,Pants on Fire.

At Tuesday's meeting  Codes of Ethics and Conduct were on Council's agenda for direction to staff.

I declared A Conflict  and exited . 

 A Code of Conduct complaint  is  the core  of a defamation suit filed by myself against  six individuals,  two of whom are  members of the  current council.

I removed myself from the  Chamber. 

But I heard words emanate from Councillor Ballard's mouth  about a higher standard of integrity expected from one who has been elected to  office. 

I heard  "penalty" and  "punishment deserved".

He argued in support of the Code remaining on the books. 

It  appears the Councillor  idea of  a higher standard of conduct , includes lying in his teeth for the purpose of  doing harm to another.  
It may once again be timely  for me  to smash my way out of the corner boards.        .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Councillor Ballard did not prevail with his desire to retain the Code of Conduct. A tiny step, perhaps, but important in the longer term. The success rate of that tiresome trio does not indicate anything in which to take pride. To use your hockey analogy, they seem to score a fair # of own-goals.

Anonymous said...


Make sure you're carrying a goal tender's stick.

They are bigger, heavier and they can move more trash

quicker.

Anonymous said...

All that he says on the subject " People are passionate about this space " But that is for public consumption on his Blog.

Anonymous said...

Tabatha Southey body-checked Mike Duffy nicely in the Saturday Globe.