"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 13 July 2014

Principle Still Count

The job of  a Council member is more than  you see.  People  have problems and need help and being a Councillor often means  being in a position to do that. Sometimes it has nothing to do with town business but a reference somewhere else. Sometimes it's just  a listening ear and a comforting word.

The internet means residents  can communicate with Councillors and keep them informed of their views. Negative and positive alike. Councillors need to hear it all.

I respond to most e-mails. It can be a dozen a day on the same subject and continuing for weeks. I can't always support expectations. But I do always  respond and explain.

I respond individually .

I am not out and about in rain and cold at  every events organized for families and children I do visit situations to have a  better sense of things. Sunday afternoons are favored for cruising the town.

The privilege I see in the job is being in a position to help if someone needs it and arguing the case for the people from my perspectives a Council debate.
.
It's  been that way since day one . My skills and knowledge improved as anyone 's would.

Internet has been the biggest change and the greatest improvement in communication with people.

Communication is the  most important aspect of the people's business.I think it may have been the missing link in democracy since  the time it was adopted.

I came from a country with the same  system though older. I grew up ,third generation Irish in Scottish culture. Inwas raised to rever the iRish,abhor the eNglish and ignore the Scottish.

I had no right to claim. Any of those nationalities.

In Canada I felt at a home almost from the moment I arrived.In Canada I discovered  the satisfaction of. speaking my mind without fear or favour.

The blog  was started in August 2007. It began out of frustration with what I had to contend with on Council. I sensed  it was the solution to the problem and it compelled me to learn the skills.

During the last election  people told me how much they appreciated  the blog and encouraged me to keep it up. I didn't need much encouragement.I love the language I speak and the opportunity to share my jh experience.

I advised those who asked ,to vote for Geoff Dawe in the last election.

The situation was desperate.. Aurora had a  Mayor with untrammeled access to the town treasury to retain legal services. I saw an invoice once with a charge to the town for a phone call from a friend of the Mayor. To external legal advisors.

A Council majority and an administration were apparently in accord .

From my perspective, that situation was  absolutely hair-raising.

I most certainly do not regret the outcome of the election.

Four years have passed .Hope that a person without experience might have sufficient competence to lead a Council to productive effort have faded.

It never happened. Huge blocks of time and staff resources were wasted. Important decision were not made.

Unrealistic schemes bordering on fanasy were seriously contemplated. Again with huge blocks of time , staff resources and financial resources used up for no  good purpose.

I do not doubt progress  or lack thereof was to the satisfaction of the Mayor.. He was responsible.

Excuses won"t cut it.

I"m not here to cover for him any more than I covered for the last one.

My allegiance is to one principle.

Hopefully  the electorate , whatever sue that my be, will  exercise their right in the election.

And so they should.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also encouraged people to vote for Geoff Dawe. It was a remarkable election the like of which we will never see again.
And still at the end the number of voters was low given the time of year & weather.

Anonymous said...

Okay, right now, pick one: Dawe or Gallo.

Anonymous said...

@12:39
Why ?

Anonymous said...

It is a different town now. Last night I was reading about a falcon found in TO and one of the people commenting said that he/she lived in Aurora, the Botox Capital north of Hwy 7. Now, that was a new one !

Anonymous said...

Evelyn... There's somebody else putting their hat in the ring isn't there?

Anonymous said...

17:09
Several are sitting tight and "considering" but I do not believe there will be any large surprise.
I wish I was wrong here.

Anonymous said...

17:09
There was a promis of someone a month or so ago. Not sure what happened there. May still happen.