"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 5 July 2014

SILLY-SHALLY

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Let's do all of us a favour":

Freedom of speech kicks the bucket someone call Ezra...or maybe Ev supports him. we know anything said about the mayor, Abel, Humphreys, Thompson and Pirri always gets published 

Double standard.
Posted by Anonymous to Our Town and Its Business at 5 July 2014 07:0

****************************

Don't be an ass. 

 It's not a double standard.  

The candidate is registered. 

He is quick out of the gate and has lots to say apparently. He has  that right .  When the time comes,  he'll  be judged accordingly.  On his merits. Not because comments on this blog crucified him. 

Mayor and Councillors  have been through that process. Voters had a choice. We were the choice.

Four years have passed .  As candidates we will be judged again.  By a different standard. 

On performance not promise. 

Does it make a difference. You betcha.

Half  of   the  electorate vote.   And only if there's a  Mayoralty contest.

No candidate wins  100% of the vote.

Only one assumption can be made about results of the last election.

But there was  hope and elation because so many worked so hard.

So much was at stake.

Because  of the stake, they continued to pay attention. Watched Council on T.V. ..Committee on u-tube. They read  The Auroran  and  blogs.

The Auroran was  positive....Chris Watts was blistering....my  blog reflects my  court-side view.
Nothing more...nothing less.  As  promised. One might say I am an occupational hazard in Aurora politics,

I don't know how many other blogs are out there. I don't tweet. The Town gave me a cell phone a year ago. I am now  making a conscious effort to get the hang of it. I doubt I will ever text.

There are some aspects of pre-technology existence I prefer to maintain.

I think every person has a tendency to be obsessive-compulsive and I intend  to keep that under control.

In  short I make no apology for sharing my experience on Council with those  who sent me there
to do exactly that...among other things. .. like exercising my own judgement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard tickety-boo about any of the other new candidates. Only one is all over the place sounding his trumpet. That is his decision but to say he is deprived in some way is a load of horse-puckey.

Anonymous said...

This is a little off-topic but I am curious about a couple of aspects of that plan to replace Ballard at the table. Are the public at large to be notified if and when candidates for the job step forward ? Or do the applications go to the Clerk and remain quietly there until the live audition ? And is there any idea of what to do if no one shows any interest ? It all seems overly-complicated and that makes me wonder if those on council have thought the thing through.

Anonymous said...

One of the successful candidates in Alta in this last election was elected with about 7% . Which should give us an idea of how interested the electorate are in by-elections. I would expect the same sort of result in Aurora unless there is a seismic change.