"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 22 November 2012

Au contraire ,, mon ami .

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "As You Like It":

"If I receive advice without merit ,don't expect me to accept it without raising a hullabulloo."

This works both ways.... you always expect everyone else to accept your advice. That is wrong.

*****************

What I offer in a Council debate is a position based on  experience.  knowledge.and eagerness  to participate.
It's why I am there. 
It's my reason for being a candidate. 
It's reasonable to believe, it 's why I am elected. 
I am nothing if not consistent.
At the end of this year, I will have completed twenty-five years of public service as an elected representative of the people of Aurora.
Other than gain  experience and knowledge,I have not  changed my approach to  responsibility as a Councillor. 
People know what to expect of me. 
If I do not contribute as I always have, I would fail them. 
I expect every Councillor to listen to views expressed around the table. 
I expect staff to listen as well. 
Being a Councillor is about listening to the views of others as well as expressing one's own. 
It's how people understand  pros and cons of any issues. 
There are always pros and cons.
It's about keeping an open mind .
Being willing to change one's mind if one hears a persuasive or better argument. 
I make my arguments firmly and with conviction. 
Decisions are made by a vote of the majority.
They don't have to be right. They just have to be a majority.
That's the essence of our freedom. We don't always have to be right. No-one can set limits. We just have to be a majority. 
Whatever the majority decides,  that's the  decision.
The electorate will make their own judgement when the time comes.  
I have participated  long enough to establish my belief.in the system we live by. 
The  statement that  I always expect others to accept my advice is childish, peevish,symptomatic and wrong.
Not worthy of a  person  elected within the system and trusted with responsibility to speak for others . 
         


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on trucking. You're doing just fine. The snarkisms always land hot & heavy when you're covering a number of different subjects. Perhaps their owner is feeling left out.

Anonymous said...

Hey. We listen to what each of the councillors has to say. I have no idea why Evelyn is being singled out for criticism here.

Anonymous said...

Here's to another 25!

Anonymous said...

Reuters
Jeffrey Jones
" Calgary by-election proving thorny for Canada's Harper "