"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 22 July 2014

It was the worst of times

I published comments critical of Grace Marsh this morning. I didn't want to.

I don't mind being accused  of being a hypocrite. I don't  like to feel like one.

I had at  Marilee Harris last weeks when I read of her bid for the vacant Council seat.

I let people say nasty things about Councillors and the Mayor .I doubt they or their supporters appreciate it.

The  point is  no-one is forced to put their name forward for public office. Criticism is part of the territory. Social media just makes it more convenient and more.....telling.

Grace is criticized for quitting. That she did is  undeniable.

But there is a factor that may not be so well known.

Grace worked for a  municipal tax  consultant operating in Canada and America.

Letters had gone  from members of that Council to employers of other Councillors.
The intent being to cause damage  to a person's employment.

Even as I tell it, the nightmare returns.

I don't believe it. should  be hard for any fair-minded person to understand the level  of tension the. situation provoked.

A candidate for public office certainly puts themselves out there and by so doing invites
disagreement,opposition and yes, criticism.

Deliberate intent to hurt someone , beyond political, is not  part of the deal.

A sacrifice no Canadian is expected to endure for the privilege of  performing a public service.

It happened to Grace and it happened to  others.

Five years later, I am still intent on making sure nothing like it ever happens  again.

The SLAPP  litigation was just a sample of the malice permeating the town's public affairs.

The poisonous environment did not happen overnight. It grew unabated for fifteen years.

It was the reason I returned to politics.  I knew the problem.

My children could not  become targets.

 My job  was not at risk.

After the 2006  election I knew things were going to be much worse.

And it was.  Very much worse.

Grace's resignation was just a small piece  of  the  foul and pestilential swamp.

I do not exaggerate . One had to be there to appreciate the full horror.

It should not be forgotten .

 I never saw anything like it before. It should never happen again.

With social media ,it might be harder to get a toehold

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fair number of Aurorans experienced poison-pen letters to their employees during the ugly years. Usually such missives are unsigned but I have gathered over the ensuing period that those bore several signatures.

Anonymous said...

Evelyn

With all due respect, I read this post of yours and I have to question perceptions.

Statements like:

"Letter went from members of that Council to employers of other Councillors.
The intent being to damage a person's employment"

"Deliberate intent to do personal harm, beyond the political..."

"It happened to Grace and it happened to others"

"The poisonous environment did not happen overnight. It grew unabated for fifteen years."

You are making statements that can relate to criminal and/or civil charges.

IF things were so bad and IF these things were going on, why was there no investigation called for by those who were on the receiving end of this? Why was York Regional Police not called and charges laid?

Why was there no investigation by media (I don't want to hear comments from the Era-Banner haters)?

I just read your accounts and those accounts from those that like to repear it, and I have NEVER seen any report to back the claims up.

Forgive me if I have missed them, please direct me to them.

Anonymous said...

"After the 2010 election I knew how much worse things were going to be.

And it was. Very much worse."

Don't you mean the 2006 election? Grace Marsh resigned in April, 2008.

Anonymous said...

@11:05
And who might " you " be that information should be directed to you ?
You have no idea if legal advice was taken. Or what decisions were made.
And I do not hate the Banner - it just doesn't merit my attention