"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 17 July 2014

Sometimes ,they're just little things

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "So Soon Forgotten...or Never Understood ?":

I thought you were not going to post disparaging comments about your fellow councillors? Does Thompson not count?

Posted by Anonymous to Our Town and Its Business at 17 July 2014 14:26

************

Councillor Thompson certainly counts.  It seems though we may have different ideas about what is disparaging to a Councillor.

My reference was to failure  to observed rules of order. I hardly call that disparaging. Any Councilor can find themselves in that situation . We are not robots.  That's.  why we have  rules of order and a Presiding Member whose role it is to maintain the rules.

If the Presiding Member  has no experience things are quite likely to go off the rails fast.

The only way to learn is by practice . It's  not easy when the  Chair himself has little sense of 
pitfalls.

When a Councillor is criticized,chances are  a reaction will trigger.  Before  you know it mayhem erupts.

We've seen eruptions in  foreign parliaments with  members


throwing things at each other and lunging over desks to get at each other's throats.

We've not seen the like in Canada   But one memorable occasion the Honorable Sheila Copps went over the desks  to get at  The Honorable John  Crosby for a denigrating remark against her.

I myself have been accused ofunruly behavior    . it was an attempt at humor that fell flat.

I'm not sure what's worse  unruly conduct  or failed humor..

It led to my finest performance when I apologized  and my friend Ron Wallace of forty-five years graciously accepted . The Council chamber  was full  that night and we received. a hearty round of applause which made the whole episode worthwhile.

Being a member of a Council  that works well together is a very satisfying experience. It doesn't mean everyone  has to think the same.

It does mean everyone has to be able to express true thoughts and convictions without being afraid of offending someone else's sensitivities.

If it happens inadvertently there's a remedy.

It really is a skill worth learning. The Chair and Councillors  with experience. Are usual models.

As has been noted, this Council has been short on both.The rules are not well understood.

I find myself against the glass age barrier. They  see my lips moving but don't hear what I'm saying.

The blog is my second chance to make a difference.?.....poking with a pointy stick.

When Councillors read what the community  reads and  the community reaction I hope for better understanding.

We have a common purpose is serve the interest of the people who sent us.

Working at odds doesn't cut it.

For a majority to  agree on a position before coming to the table  is not my idea  of  a cohesive unit.

 Outside of council  there's a  common belief that's how politics work.

It is not .  Things do not get accomplished .

There's nothing in government like the satisfaction of  working together and moving the municipality forward.

When something is right ....it's easy to recognize.. Takinggratuitous

I kept hoping. .....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness ! I cannot believe you were taken over the coals for putting up a comment inferring that Cllr Thompson tends to put listeners to sleep. He also says " you know " frequently.
There have been plenty of comments on most of the other councillors without causing offence. Why is someone so concerned about this one ?

Anonymous said...


It's good that we are getting closer to the end than the beginning.

Anonymous said...

I think we learn from the comments & observations of others.
Very early in this term, someone referred to councillor Humfryes as " The Thank-You Lady ". I had never heard that term before. It took a little while to figure out.
It was very accurate.

Anonymous said...

A very busy week or so. I was wondering what could be discussed over the summer when nothing much happens. With the Ukraine mess, Mr Duffy and the play-enacting to replace cllr Ballard, there appears to be plenty of material for you. Have at it.

Anonymous said...

"I think we learn from the comments & observations of others."

Only if we're allowed to, 17:34.

Anonymous said...

"disparaging" really? If that was "disparaging" I would be jailed for some of my choice words that I throw out when hearing some of these theatrical performances I hear in council.

Anonymous said...

New candidates being registered in the run for councillor. One very good one & a couple of ringers.

Anonymous said...

Which is the good one and who are the ringers?

Anonymous said...

12:01
Actually I have 2 possibles now. if one considers the entire list. Remarkable.