"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 19 August 2010

A question

"If you don't believe Mr. Leach said something detrimental about yourself, why on earth would you let "luckywife" post that he said something "not kind"? "

It was a long comment. It wasn't clear to me if something unkind was said, it was necessarily about me.

Lucky Wife makes thoughtful comments. I appreciate all comments and the time it takes to engage.

The late Bob Buchanan, editor of the Aurora Banner had arule that he would print a letter or not. He would not edit a letter. Only the writer knows the sense of the comment. Editing could change it.

I have a comment now that's a response to the news the St. Kitts woman is a candidate for Council. The comment is personal and it's critical. I agree with the sentiment. I don't owe the St Kitts woman anything. Yet I don't think I can publish the comment.

The difference between something said or written is substantial.

I learned that lesson with the first letter I ever sent to an editor. I've never forgotten how I felt when I read it. I couldn't temper it or take it back. It was an onslaught far beyond my intention. I was not proud.

We learn as we go. Blogging and responding will acquire it's own discipline in time.
In the meantime, we are working to establish what it will be and exercising personal judgement.

We may not always be right but we are well-intentioned. .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the other candidates for mayor don't get their name and face out there soon we could face the ultimate disaster both Morris and St Kitts on the same council.

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, After reading your post and the question posed by another reader, I went back and re-read what I had written about Mr. Leach. Reading it back I could see that I did imply that Mr. Leach had said something unkind. That is not what happened and not what I intended to convey, but clearly, that is what I did do and I owe Mr Leach a sincere apology. I did a poor job of articulating what I heard and saw and in doing so I implied something that was not true. As for the rest of my comments, I stand behind those. Do I think he was unkind? Yes, I do, but he did not SAY anything. I am not going to elaborate further, the tape has been edited so I can not go back and review and in fairness my memory may be false. My comments about some people being gleeful at your distress are true, no need to name names, they know who they are and I would bet dollars to donuts that you do to.

I would like to address the "meat" of my comments. Those were about the Mayor. I want to clarify that I do not know Phyllis Morris and I bear her no personal animus. I do however hold her to a higher standard than others because she is the MAYOR. I expect her behavior and deportment to be above reproach. Right or wrong, that is how I feel. She is very rude and unprofessional. She interrupted Cllr. Geartner several times when she tried to speak and told her she could make her comments under New Business. That ticked me off because the Mayor says whatever she wants regardless of the rules, and then tries to apply the rules to others? I don't think so. All I can take from that particular exchange is the Mayor didn't want Cllr. Gaertner sharing her soapbox!

Luckywife

Anonymous said...

I have soken to two people who want to know why Rogers has edited.

They heard the Mayor use the word "Typical"

Anonymous said...

"She interrupted Cllr. Geartner several times when she tried to speak and told her she could make her comments under New Business. That ticked me off because the Mayor says whatever she wants regardless of the rules, and then tries to apply the rules to others? I don't think so. All I can take from that particular exchange is the Mayor didn't want Cllr. Gaertner sharing her soapbox!

Or perhaps Ms Gaertner was her usual unintelligible self in her discourse!

Resident at Large said...

I also would like to know why Rogers edited coverage of a public meeting. We, the public, have a right to know everything that transpires at public meetings, especially when schedules do no permit us to attend in person.
From what witnesses say who were there, we have our reason for the withdrawal of "Character Community." What kind of "character" takes pleasure in the demise (Councillor Buck's fall) of a colleague and shows no concern or compassion? That kind of character is reflected in 6 council members. No wonder they didn't want it broadcast on Rogers for the rest of us to see!
If I were any of the 6 I would not dare to set foot in the Seniors Centre after your disgusting display of lack ob basic compassion for a human being, an elderly one at that!