"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Blogs Are Here To Stay

Aurora  Citizen Blog has an anonymous comment about Blogs this morning. They are still new in our town's affairs and it's good to have a conversation about them.

I read  about a research study on the value of gossip.The conclusion was  gossip is essential and a good thing. It provides people with an opportunity to vent.

Sometimes  you hear yourself say something, or someone repeats it back to you and you realise it was so ridiculous it was comical.  Laughing at yourself is a good thing too. 

So gossip is good , laughter is good and   gossip is what we do in Blogs.

The Citizen  comment states I do not post opposing viewpoints on my Blog.

I do so.

 I do not  post  nasty comments about myself. Why would I do that?

If a person wants to post  abusive comments about Evelyn Buck, they should post their own Blog.They could even do it without identifying themselves, I think

Would they have readers ?
       
Maybe.

Would I read it?

Certainly not.

For forty years, the Mayor of Aurora has had  opportunity to write a weekly report in a local newspaper.

Why did this Mayor not take advantage of the opportunity? Why choose instead to use the  town's corporate communication division to promote  her personal, political viewpoint  on everything from soup to nuts.

A clause in the Code of Conduct prohibits a member of Council from  abusing public resources.

Another prohibits individual  members of Council  giving  direction to staff.

Why was a person added to the public payroll to read Blogs and Letters to the Editor and to correct "misinformation"  about the town that  might be contained therein?

Is it not the function of the Mayor to engage in  public discourse?

I always thought so. I thinks it's the job of any Councillor to keep people informed of  town affairs  and their personal perspective on same; by whatever means available, be it Letters to the Editor , Blogs or Debate in Council.

Never have I  considered it the role of a town employee to publicly engage in political discourse. Until now, I  never knew  a town employee either who thought it would be a good idea. 

I recently persuaded friends and family to create a third blog  for me as an option to a web-site. But with the election and all, I haven't had time to write in it except for  my political profile.

There you go, one of those ridiculous statements I was talking about.

I have a new blog for politics but except for one item,  I haven't had time to use it because I'm too busy with politics.

But be that as it may, for good or ill, this blog is here to stay.

Here's another thought; being marginalized  by the Gang of Six on this Council was the catalyst that triggered this Blog.

If I am re-elected... If there's a change in the Chair and Council .... Much awaits to be done. With new people and  fresh perspective, there will be lots to tell.  I look forward to the task.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and hope you continue with it next term.