"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 29 October 2010

I Am Not

A good patient. Is anyone? I take sickness as an insult to my well-being. I give voice to my discomfort.I don't even try to be good-natured or uplifting.There are limits to what I am  physically willing to endure. I said I wouldn't talk about it. I changed my mind.

The medication is taking its course. My head is clear. From the neck down, pain persists  in muscles and joints.I have six more days of anti-biotic. No doubt things will improve along the way.

Out-going Councillor Stephen Granger is asking for a re-count of votes. Apparently he has difficulty accepting the same fate as several of his closest associates. There will be a cost of $25Ks. which  will be on top of the cost of the election.

Seven years, ago when outgoing Councillor Mac Eachern demanded a recount of my votes, by way of a  friendly  welcome back, regulations required a re-count under a certain number of votes. My votes were well beyond it.

Now there is no automatic requirement for a re-count. The election machines have proven their accuracy time and time again. Including my own.

There's little  chance the vote will change. So the $25Ks will be an expensive lollipop soother for  aloser

A few nights ago, a few new Councillors met to-gether. It takes time to calm down after winning. Winning is better than losing.

The  outgoing Mayor joined the group to assure them of availability if they needed any advice. It must be  hard to let go.

Assurance was offered and a statement made, there would soon be a by-election.

Wishful thinking maybe.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would there be a by-election? Is someone leaving?

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone seek her advice? And on what? About how to retain lawyers and spend others' money perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what the insinuation in this is.

Would she really suggest what I think she is suggesting?

And anyway, she does not support by-elections. We know that much at least.

Something Fishy in Aurora said...

"Assurance was offered and a statement made, there would soon be a by-election.

Wishful thinking maybe. "

Maybe you should have the former mayor investigated for threats against your health....

:)

Grace Marsh said...

Evelyn, please elaborate. Why would anyone think there will be a by-election? I don't see any of the newly elected not serving. I don't see Gallo or Gaertner not serving, and certainly you don't intend to not serve, what's up?

Playing with Fire said...

Geoff better have a chat with his new class mates (quickly)to explain the dangers of associating with the old guard , If these good folks didn’t get the message the voters sent to these fools and distance themselves accordingly, they are playing with fire

Anonymous said...

A by-election? My heavens they haven't even taken the oath and somebody is already planning to quit! wink, wink.

I have to admit it would be pretty funny to see Morris, MacEachern, Granger and Wilson duke it out for the seat. Just try to imagine what each would have to say about their opponents. Maybe we could have a fourway debate. Hell, I'd even pay for a ticket to see that!

Glad you won, Evelyn. Whatever happens in the next four yours, I know you will always give as good as you get.

Regards,
Luckywife

PLEASE - NOT FOUR MORE YEARS OF TURMOIL said...

BY-ELECTION - REALLY???

Please don't tell me there is ANY chance of the ballot boxes being contaminated.

Surely staff responsible have stored them in a secure way.

MAYOR DAWE will have his hands full so lets all give him the support, and time, he needs to do the job for which he was so over-whelmingly elected!!!

Broderick Epps said...

Why put any stock in Ms. Morris' musings about a by-election.
It is well documented that she is against by-elections (refer Grace Marsh situation). Ms. Morris is now the ex-Mayor. Lets move on and look forward to a new era in Aurora politics.

Anonymous said...

I think Gallo will fly the coop!