"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 7 November 2010

During The Election

I mentioned a phone conversation I had with a resident. I had dialed a wrong number and stated my name at the  outset.

The call resulted in my receiving an earful   about  myself which  I repeated  in a post. Eyebrows  were raised by my frankness and  wisdom or lack thereof.

Candidates generally invest resources  in positive promotion of one's ability,character,competence.love of one's  wife, children and family, country and community, integrity, intelligence,innovation ,expertise of this and that and whatever else one can come up with to persuade voters no better choice can be made.

That's what it's about right?

To an  extent, yes?  It's also partly why, politics are seen by many as a bit of a circus and not worth the bother of voting.

A number of years ago, I attended Convocation  at Queen's University. Jeffrey Simpson, Canadian  journalist and author  and himself a graduate from Queen's, gave  the address.

He told the graduates  it was  always wise to be  skeptical but not cynical. Politicians are  people just  like  the rest of us and who else should we expect to  elect  to represent us .

Thousands of  students received  diplomas that day. Thousands more  witnessed the event.The speech was probably given several times.

I couldn't help hoping the audience was listening . The message was so real.

But politics is also a complicated venue with many different angles. To understand it fully, I think one needs to be part of it and  as we have seen  recently...sometimes ... that doesn't even work. .

I repeated the resident's comment that morning  because I did not see it  as a reflection against myself so much as  giving readers a glimpse into the reality of politics.

He  told me what he thought. As he had a right to do. I gave him my time and  respect.  I did not challenge his view as I had a right to do. It would not have been good use of my time.

There was hope,  personal contact . even if accidental, with  someone who had formed a negative opinion, might make a difference. No opportunity,however faint, to make a good impression,can afford to be wasted.  It's called personal communication. 

This  blog has evolved into a  journal of one person's daily  experience within a particular political  arena. It is not necessarily the same as any other.

Yet it is honest. It is real. It is full of  personal inflection. In places, it is...perforce... incomplete.

People who work for the municipality are entitled to privacy therefore, there are things I know which cannot be repeated. It  creates something of a dilemma. Because to an extent,I think you are entitled to know everything  I know.

In another time and in other  circumstances this aspect of my experience would not  be so critical.

As I write it, I am aware the post is read by people who believe they can  deny its relevance.Not even  election results can persuade them differently. 

The direction  the Blog has  followed so far, has achieved its objective. No-one should imagine it's purpose was inadvertent. I expect to continue to throw a spot light where previously there was only a flicker, for  the enlightenment  of some and the discomfort of others.

If I were asked for a single reason for my continued relevance in Aurora's politics, my answer would be simple. It's called  personal communication. 

This week on The Citizen Blog , the discussion  is  how Councillor- elect Wendy Gaertner came to win  enough votes to be re-elected. 

It's really not complicated.

For the process of elimination to work, Eight names  had to be selected  for Council.   Not  enough   viable new  names were available to  make that happen.   Therefore,  incumbent   Councillors   had to be considered.  John Gallo and Wendy Gaertner were survivors.

Despite his alignment,Councillor-elect John Gallo has  shown signs of independent thinking . He is a young man with a young family. He lives  in a  new neighbourhood of similar families, which, for balance, should have representation on  Council.

Councillor-elect Wendy Gaertner was chosen for the third time. For the same reason she was first chosen.

Involvement with children over a period of seventeen years;  first in a south-west neighbourhood and then in the heart of the community,  provided the extra support needed to get over the line.  Anyone  who does anything for kids  gets the support of parents who, God Bless them,  always appreciate whatever  help they can  get in the business of raising a family.

As a  Councillor, Ms Gaertner has mostly depended on others for guidance. Getting out from under,if she chooses to do so, can only be an improvement.

Receiving  enough votes to take a seat at the table,  is a powerful incentive to do the best one can.  I have  known few  who were  not profoundly affected by having been chosen.

I am optimistic the new Council will do its best  to serve the community well.

No comments: