"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 25 November 2010

I Am Posting Opposing Views

Those who express them certainly should appreciate the opportunity.

It should be clear to anyone the reason I spend my time writing this blog is to expound on my own opinions. It's a huge satisfaction to me because I have so many.

No-one is obliged to read the blog. That they do is my second greatest source of satisfaction.

I welcome argument.

Disagreement is not verboten.

Personal abuse certainly is.

The blog belongs to me, myself,alone.

Of late, argument has replaced abuse to a considerable extent. I am glad of the improvement.

Still, there is a degree of incivility accompanied by clear hostility.

If an invitation to my home was accepted, guests would not expect to leave their manners on the doorstep. Anonymity does not permit the rules to be different in my blog space.

Argument is welcome.

Sneers and jeers are not.

3 comments:

someone who loves this town more than politics said...

well said Evelyn!

I guess the difference between us is I prefer to know who my guests are before I let them into my house and hence my decision to likewise restrict anonymous posting on my personal blog.

I fail to see where offering the ability to place a mask over their head before they enter is helpful to anyone, or the process of participation as a whole.

If someone wants to challenge this theory than I suggest having balaclavas available for people to wear before they enter public spaces. Lets see how this changes the level of participation, or even comfort.

If you want to speak up than do so with the confidence of who you are.

Otherwise you're just some crazy scary dude in a mask and what's the point?

Mr. Spock said...

"It's a huge satisfaction to me because I have so many."

That's our Ev, ever the master of the understatement...

Anonymous said...

very good!