"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 21 November 2010

Even While My Right Was Being Challenged

I was being assured of respect for my right to free speech. It occurs to me, I need to point out,not only do I have the right of free speech, as an elected representative, I have an obligation to inform people of where I stand on the various issues that come before Council.

How else are they to discover if you are a person they wish to have represent them?

I've held to that belief for all the time of my involvement in the town's political affairs.

It's a mark of my respect for the intelligence of the electorate.

I believe a person can be honest and straightforward and earn respect. I do not believe, to be successful in politics, one must repeat back to the voter what you think they want to hear.

During the election I had a dialogue with a high school student involved in a class election as part of the civics program.

The student wanted to know what program I would commit to which would be of interest and persuade students to vote for me.

I explained a councillor has one vote. A candidate cannot promise anything. All we can do is state what we believe are issues of concern and commit to addressing them and influencing their outcome.

I'm not at all sure the argument was understood. I did not inquire into the outcome of the election in the school.But I stayed true to my principle and one day it may make sense.

A Council is the sum of its parts. Each part has but an influence. No part has control.

No comments: