"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 24 July 2011

No Such Thing

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Dog Days Of Summer":

I find it amusing that you fashion yourself as a politician and extol the traditions of politics but then have disdane for other politicians that use political tactics that are just as tradtional, valid and legal as yours.

While I do not agree with their battle, you have to admire both their and even Mormac's methods to use the rules available to them to accomplish their goals.

*******************
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Dog Days Of Summer":

Hey, Evelyn, remember when you and yours strategized to bring down the mayor.
Seems the plot is the same... and seemingly characters interchangeable.
I love the whole conspiracy story line.

Little town keeps trying to play silly games over and over.
Look around. Serious issues abound.

But nothing beats the unique smell of Aurora cupcakes... melting in the sun.

***********************

I'm glad my first commenter is amused. She/he certainly is not informed.

There is nothing traditional valid or legal about spending hundreds of thousands of  hard-earned tax  dollars on lawyers to fight battles against our own official plan and government regulations and to bring down real or imagined enemies.

Nothing valid or traditional, to hire no less that two lawyers to  destroy her predecessor's reputation.

And yet another lawyer to come up with the  strategy of a code of conduct to silence opposition to their goals to destroy the reputations, lives and careers of  anyone who might stand  in their way.

It was an on-going parade of lawyers.

Politics is an intellectual exercise. It is the art of the possible. The objective is to influence  the decisions made in the best interest of the community.You learn that  by hearing what people have to tell you.

I like and respect politicians. I find them everywhere.  I have probably known and worked with hundreds at the municipal level. Everything I  learned, I learned from those with more experience than myself who generously chose to share. 

There are no books, no university courses  on how to be a useful and effective politician.

I probably learned most from Reeves and Deputy-Reeves of  the rural townships of the last York County Council.

It was Stewart Burnett who told me ;"Evelyn, in politics no matter how we do,we are  criticised.We don't do it to each other "

The first Regional solicitor, Ted Oakes, never ran out of time to fill in on the history and purpose of Metro and York County as it was before Metro was created.He was as good as a tutor.He was not the only one I had the good fortune to meet along the way.

I tried for eight months to work with  Mormac's gang. I never disrespected the Office of Mayor or Councillors. When it became  clear, they were determined I would not be allowed to participate,  I found another way to make a contribution.

Once the decision was made to write the blog, there was no turning back. My instinct served me well.

Power is in the written word. Since I was a child, words have been my strength Because I was a child, I learned the hard way how not to use them.

No politician in their right mind makes gratuitous enemies along the way. There are no shrinking violets.One learns to be self-sufficient or  else.  More importantly, one learns to defend oneself. 

There was nothing traditional, valid or legal about the Mormac gang.. They were a total aberration in politics.  I have  never  known a group possessed of such  meanness. So determinedly without conscience.

Morris and MacEachern were brought down by nothing but their own  arrogance and ignorance.I have never known such cold-blooded cruelty.

What was given was taken.

No comments: