"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 23 July 2011

Snarky And Nasty

This morning a snarky comment came through  about how "fortunate" Council is to have me as their
leader.

Others don't think I have any  right  to comment. The resident with the beef about the monkey bars thinks I should step down from Council because I don't support his theories.

Fat chance, buddy

The Globe and Mail had an article recently on the need for challenge in adventure playgrounds.

Gordon Barnes sent me a link to an article in the New York Post  with a lengthy article saying pretty much what most people have commented; children need challenge ;parents need to take responsibility for their own.

Just now  a reader was listening to a program on the CBC about our over-protective  society.

Chris Watts forwarded a link to an excellent speech on Utube  by John Cleese relating to stupidity and creativity.

Another resident with experience in workplace safety sent Council a lengthy e-mail with a complete opposite perspective the father of one who insists the town must  remove the monkey bars from Confederation park playground or risk a coroner's inquest.

There's certainly no shortage of information at any given time. It remains to be seen if there is enough collective experience on Council to do the right thing and just say "NO"

I was recently asked if I placed myself on a pedestal. I said "No. I place the Office of Councillor on a pedestal"

The  lamentable lack of understanding among the moderns of the significance of  the rights and freedoms we enjoy in this beautiful land is remarkable.

Being elected has never meant that I surrender my right to speak frankly and freely without fear or favour. It added  responsibility and obligation to the rights we all enjoy.

Holding elected office is a public service. It is not subservient to the public, the administration or any other group one might care to mention.

Being elected gives me the authority to do what  I do best, enjoy most and do it for others besides myself. It's a heady experience.

I make no apology for that.

And May the Devil take the fool who  thinks I should

No comments: