"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 28 April 2012

A Councillor's Responsibility

Last week a post on the Aurora Citizen from the lawn bowling club  was inviting new members.

A few years ago, when the club asked the town to take over maintenance of the  green, membership was  twenty-nine. The request was made by reason of advancing age of  members.

It was then I was informed no fees are  paid to the town because the town had heretofore, incurred no costs.

Last week, the  post in the  Citizen offered the facilities for 'private events" with a "price to be arranged"

I am familiar with the agreement with the men's soccer league for the field at the south  end of  town.

They pay one  dollar a year.They cannot, in theory, sub-lease  town property to derive revenue. .

There's a story there too .

The bowling club invitation poster was offended by my reference to the post in a Council meeting.  While acknowledging words about "private events" and "prices to be  arranged" were misleading,  the club does pay an annual fee to the town .How much was not disclosed.

No matter, staff will report .The question will be  clarified.   

But a gleeful fury  erupted over at the Citizen Post  of how  frequently I am wrong and have trouble grasping things, It is not subtle. 

This post  makes a different point .

Mine is a different perspective than others of a Councillor's responsibility.  

 I do not speak for myself alone. However many people marked a cross against my name in the last election, delegated their authority to me to mind their interest in the town's business affairs.

The town's business is  financial,  use of public resources, care and maintenance of  assets, impact on the taxes people pay.

Bottom line; my job is to do my part to ensure  business is conducted on a fair and equitable basis. Primarily, fairly and equitably to the people who pay the bills and who use town facilities.

I make no apology. I do not seek permission. I am subject to no   authority in  pursuit of  my obligation and accountability.

I accord the same to other Councillors. 

Yet, we do not all have the same perception. 

Councillor Gaertner, for example,  frequently states it is Council's role to  give  people what they want.  In practice, it means, whatever unreasonable demands made are to be accommodated.

Councillor Gaertner  practices what she preaches.

Other  members  have different ideas. 

 I would not presume to change an understanding of why each was successful in the last election.

I can only be true  to the commitment I made. Whether  people   are watching me or when they are not.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... However many people marked a cross against my name in the last election, .....

Is this some sort of Freudian slip? I think people marked an "ex" not a "cross". YOu have not been promoted to sainthood.