"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 7 January 2014

It's all about new discovery

When I  bought  a computer I had no idea how to use it. Even less did I know the impact it would have on my life.

I had a sense of it.

But my first experience was a fat  negative.

I acquired an e-mail address.

As a  Council candidate, I made it known. It was like the polar bear plunge. I had no how to use te computer but  there ws no other way to find out. 
I received a phone call from a candidate who'd heard I was the only candidate who had not responded to a  questionnaire from the Aurora Banner. The deadline had passed. I called the editor to ask for an extension.

Deborah Kelly's  response was hostile. 
"It's not  our job to chase after candidates " she said.
I'd never spoken to the woman. Certainly there had been no exchange to account for the lack of civility.

The questionnaire was the only acknowledgement of the election 
The Banne was the only  newspaper in town at the time. 
Since tere was no reason I could identify, I decided it didn't exist. It was a figment of   political paranoia peculiar to politicians.

I was wrong  about that.

I fooled arou with the computer some  more for no particular purpose. 
I was elected in another election and met up with similar hostility. 
I still  couldn't pin-point a reason. But I could no longer dismiss the reality. I thought  about blogging.
You know what they say about the best defense. 
Still ...I knew nothing about blogging. 
I asked  and discovered I'd spent money acquiring a domain. It was as expensive  as it was a mis-step.

I  read about successful bloggers. One story made a particular impression. 
The publisher had been  diagnosed with a terminal illness. He blogged daily about dying.Thousands of people logged in and joined him in his journey.

I wasn't one.  I  figure that's a journey none of us need to take more than once.

I went to the senior's centre and  learned someting of the practical application of blogging .

About the same time, a young  knowledgeable  neigbor became interested in what I was struggling to achieve and became both teacher and associate.It was a period when she needed a diversion.

Helping  me acquire rudimentary  computer skills provided what  she needed at the time  I needed help.

I had not become proficient by the time her life turned  around as I knew it would but I had learned enough to limp along .

The blog evolved to belong to more than myself alone.

At one and the same time, the immediate nature of communication  is both its strength and  frailty.

It is what it is.

Now I am dealing with  something new.

The experience pre-occupies my mind but I can't  tell the story.   For now.

If I  blogged six times as often , it would not be enough to tell  story I need to tell.

It must wait.

While  it waits... it's hard to focus on anything else.

That's a new  discipline to be mastered.

We  celebrated the life of  former Mayor John West today.

The closing words were spoken  by others. 

It's what we do. 

John was of a generation that had  no access  to planning. 

Life was earned  as it came. It had to be embraced because there was no other way.

 I am as  certain  as I can be, John's  life was better than his wildest dreams anticipated.

He would have no regrets. 

That's as  good  as it gets.  









12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It worries me a bit that you have ' something new ' with which to deal. But experience has taught me that your stories do get told when you feel they are ripe. They are usually well worth any delay. Peace

Anonymous said...

It is still your Blog. It belongs to you alone.

Anonymous said...


The Banner is a poor excuse to be labelled a "newspaper."

If we had a caged bird it would reside at the bottom of the cage.

Since we don't it goes straight into the blue box.

Ms. Kelly could easily accompany it.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but other people see her differently, 11:28
She gave the speech for a bunch of women called A Leadership Group. This despite the fact that she's had the same job for eons.
The list of invitees for that shindig excluded a # of female leaders in the Region.

Anonymous said...

Our family reads the Banner frequently.I guess that makes us some kind of aliens.

Anonymous said...

12:54
Not at all. The Banner used to have a quite decent reporter. And they can still put together an interesting article. Aurorans have been spoiled by having the Auroran dealing with town affairs. The Banner simply isn't in the same league. Even those who fought so hard to keep town advertising with the Banner may admit the Auroran is doing a much better job of informing residents.

Anonymous said...

12:54... you must be new here. There is an anti-Banner slant with most participants here because the above mentioned editor has/had a professional/personal tie to a former female mayor of Aurora who shall not be named.

The banner provides adequate news coverage for Aurora - for the news that matters. For the news that really doesn't matter but is nice to read, there is The Auroran.

I will admit however, The Auroran is better than it was under the previous regime. It at least focuses most of the attention to the present and the amount of letters to the editor are less (especially from former and sitting councillors).

Anonymous said...

I never read the Banner. You can't beat the Auroran for local news. Metroland should really take a lesson or two from our paper. That being said...I do like to read York Region online to find out what's going on around the Region. Our taxes go throughout York and I would like to find out where the rest of my money is being spent in other municipalities. It's still all Metroland and the writing is so obviously biased. It truly is a very Liberal paper, but you can still get the gist of how your money is being thrown away across the Region.

Anonymous said...

It boils down to looking forward to reading the Auroran & not being able to tolerate the fetch & carry of the numerous Banners.Too much filler without substance. That being said, the ladies in Newmarket are very good about cancelling your delivery.

Anonymous said...

The Aurora is up - including news that there will be a special yard waste collection at the end of the month for branches etc. Usual rules on bundling seem to apply. No mention of a truck with a chipper.

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you managed to get John West Way back in place. I do hope he knew it had happened before he became so ill.

Anonymous said...

9:56... Did John West Way move? It was always there. It was an address that changed.

#wasteofresources