"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 21 May 2012

Meandering

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Flotsam And Jetsam Circa 2012":

Fascinating. Like reading Coleridge before his editors cleaned his work up.

**************
I knew  Coleridge was a poet. I figured since I was familiar with  his name, chances are he was a successful poet. The  comment therefore  is a compliment. To discover  how much of a compliment I had to find out something about the man and his poetry.


 I had to find out  his style to determine why the Flotsam and Jetsam post was a reminder. 

Yes I'm vain. Isn't everyone?

Google makes it simple.  First title told me why I was familiar with Samuel Coleridge.  Ancient Mariner was a poem I learned  in school. I don't remember much about it or what I learned from it. Just that it was a long story told in rhythm and rhyme.


Maybe I learned more than I realized.

 I hear music in language.


When I edit, I re-arrange words for sound.

 I've  never thought of that as poetry. I've  wished I  knew how to  write poetry. Wondered, since I  need to write, why have I no inclination for fantasy, I can only write about what I know.

 Even then I'm only trying to be clear. Another comment last week was that I sometimes tie  readers  up in knots. Does that mean my meaning isn't clear or is it  that I  create  tension.

Well, enough of this lolly-gagging. I have to figure out how to copy and paste the editorial from May 17th  Aurora Banner.


It's a test .

No comments: