"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Un Bon Mot

I have never watched Silence of the Lambs. Horror movies are not my idea of entertainment
I see a clip often when surfing channels. Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster, eyes locked, through the bars of a cell. The malevolence in his cold flat grey eyes as he talks about eating someones liver is sufficient to affirm my resolve I'm never going to watch that movie.

Last night, The Mayor fell into step beside me between the back room and the Council Chamber.

"I am the Mayor" she declared in less than cordial tones. .

"Not for long" I answered without a pause.

"What do you know" she said.

"As much as you" I responded

She turned and looked deep into my eyes and said. "I am having fun"

"That's good" I said. "Make the most of it"

Conversation is rare between the Mayor and myself. If it happens it's unexpected.and unsolicited.

Comments are usually apropos of nothing that went before or came after

In politics one learns to expect the unexpected. It's only after you have the time to wonder:

"What was that about?"

In this situation the next thought invariably is:

What must it be like to be a town employee and trapped in the town hall with that woman ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.