"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 30 September 2010

The Campaign

I am  having a leaflet printed at KWIKKOPY of Aurora.  It's taken some back and forth with technology  being a bit more involved  than  before.

Writing the blog  free and easy on a daily basis, has affected my style. Leaflet text and headings keep coming out like a post. It's not necessarily the best  for  a leaflet or an ad.

I need stuff  to hand out at the all-candidates meeting at the Town Hall on Sunday and others after that.

The phone is ringing  with requests for signs. Various organizations are asking for  bios of a different  number of words. They are all good opportunities for exposure. But they're not  leaving much time for
being out and about.

On the other hand, I've never done out and about very well.Walking up to people and shoving my hand out has never been my schtick. I have all the chutzpah I need to hold my own in a debate but shoving myself  into people's faces is something I do not do with any level of comfort.

The problem is people tend to love me or hate me.  I can never be sure which it might be. The wrong side of politics can be a cruel task-master

I usually hand out leaflets at stores. My grandchildren  think it's great fun.

In the early days, I would  distribute leaflets house to house  with all my children and my children's friends. We would end up the evening  in the first donut shop in Aurora ,Mr.Donut, at Aurora Heights Drive.  We sat  up on stools, eating donuts and drinking hot chocolate. We would fill  all the stools.

Wherever they are, those guys are all in their forties now. I wonder if campaigning for Mrs. Buck is  among their childhood memories.I know there are people across Canada who remember  Buck's basement. I would always rather my own were under their own roof. 

The same  troupe  came with us to the movies ,when the nearest was at Steeles Avenue. They were my social circle for  years.In the old blue station  wagon  with paint on the floor. The guy that owned it before us was a house painter.We didn't have seat belts in those days so they all crowded  in nicely.

I have to go now. The environmental people want me to fill out a questionnaire on green issues. It goes out to ten thousand people. Probably not all in Aurora but I would be conspicuous in my absence if I don't do it. 

Rogers Cable offered  me  a two minute spot on T.V. I spent hours making myself look the best I could . I set off an hour early with time  to find the address on Mulock Drive. The number I had, turned out to be a cement plant. I don't have a cell phone. I missed  the appointment. When  I called to explain they said; "Sorry,it's all wrapped up now" I was looking for even numbers on the even side of the road.Turned out they were an odd number on the odd side. 

The fact that I'm missing will probably make a bigger impact than anything I could  say in two minutes. But being absent is a negative not a positive. Still          ..it happens.

Now I need to figure out how to send a photo to Cynthia at The Auroran for an ad. Or go back over there  with it.

I have tons to tell about the last meeting of Council ..  I have to send stuff to the lawyer, Kevin MacDonald. It will have to wait.

We'll talk  later

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at your energy Evelyn. Please know that you are loved and appreciated in this town. I look forward to your re-election, and I pray you will get to work the next 4 years with a well-led council.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at your energy Evelyn. Please know that you are loved and appreciated in this town. I look forward to your re-election, and I pray you will get to work the next 4 years with a well-led council.

Anonymous said...

From Someone Who Loves You!

Head UP and shoulders back my mother use to say.You should have no problem engaging your public. I believe the amount of support you will receive will be astounding! Good Luck with your campaign Evelyn!!!

David Heard said...

I will not pass over the Buck.

X marks the spot.