"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 23 September 2010

The Integrity Commissioner

According to the permissive legislation passed by the Province, an Integrity Commissioner is supposed to function at arms length from the Municipal Council.

The process  is supposed to be completely confidential.

The  Municipal Clerk's office has no role other than to  receive and forward complaints to the Commissioner. If or when  a decision is made and forwarded under closed cover to the clerk, it is his/her  role  to forward the decision to the complainant and the person complained about.

If he  deems the complaint to be valid and not frivolous and vexatious or made for political purposes, the commissioner has the authority to have  access to whatever records he requires, to carry out an investigation.

Actually as I write that, I realize ,it is hard to understand how an investigation  could be kept confidential  from the municipality if the Commissioner has to request  municipal staff to provide records.

Reports from Integrity Commissioners in other municipalities include analysis of the complaint, the response to the complaint, a detailed  outline  of the investigation and  a  basis for the  decision. Written documentation is substantial.

That is not what was received from Aurora's second Integrity Commissioner in his decisions on Councillor MacEachern's  complaints against me.

In fact, if I recall correctly,Mr.Tzubouchi, in answer to a question from Councillor Collins Mrakas stated he had no intention to reveal details of his investigation. 

And now we have a third Integrity Commissioner and Ms Craig informs me Mr.Tzubouchi has "recused" himself.

Other than a name  attached to  the title of Integrity Commissioner, I have no idea why this person  is in possession of documentation of a complaint against me  made by  an employee in the Town of Aurora.

I can provide no answers.

After six members of Council ,using public resources to retain a solicitor to  investigate my blog posts,  letters to the editor and public  commentary  during Council meetings  and directed him to compile a complaint against me to the first Integrity Commissioner, I retained a solicitor at my own expense not only to file suit  under the law, but also to protect  myself against further transgressions.

Still the attacks continue..

Other than to hold fast and tell the people who elected me to be their spokesperson and representative,  I really don't know what else to do about it.

The last  letter from my solicitor to Mr.Tzubouchi was ignored. 

Why would it be any different this time?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

EXPLOSIVES, AND LOTS OF THEM.

AFTERWORDS, A LONG WEEKEND AT THE HOWARD JOHNSON HOTEL IN AURORA'S HEARTLAND.

Anonymous said...

Where is the integrity in any of this?

One who Knows said...

You absolutely must make sure this gets on the front page of the next edditon of the only free press in Aurora . the voters must see what is going on here.

Anonymous said...

If Tsubouchi recused himself and passed the complaint to Ms. Craig, who is paying her fee?
Will it be deducted from the 60K Tsubouchi makes (for what exactly, I am sure I don't know) or will we, the taxpayers be on the hook yet again?
I am so angry I could spit!!