"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 22 September 2010

That's A Good Question

Good Morning Evelyn:
I want to ask you something about a previous blog--Last Night's Meeting.

You mentioned in your blog that the Mayor and Cllr. Gaertner were very chatty that night and that the agenda hadn't been started at 10:40 pm.

The minutes note that Cllr. Collins-Mrakas left at 10:16 and yourself at 11:01.

I reviewed the agenda and add-on and then read the minutes. Something caught my eye regarding the closed session, in the agenda the subject is noted as Litigation Re: Adena Meadows. That's it.

On page 2 of 11 of the MINUTES, first item it is noted as New Closed Session Item
Re:Potential Defamation

Council went into closed session at 11:33 pm to discuss item 1, Adena Meadows, and item 2 defamation.

Hmm. Now the wheels are turning in my devious little mind and I'm wondering if the delay in getting to the agenda was deliberate? You have made it your habit to leave the meeting if nothing is getting done and you make no bones in blog posts about why. (that is a statement, not a criticism, I don't blame you, it's nuts and I would leave to.)

Here's my question: Were all members of council informed about an add on to the closed session agenda before the meeting? I was under the impression that you had to have an agenda for closed session meetings and only topics listed on the agenda could be discussed. Am I wrong about that?

Here's what I'm thinking, and I am relying on you to set me straight if I'm wrong........This council has no legal way of barring you from participating in town business. But what if they employ skulduggery and your own habits to achieve that goal? Please review the agenda and the minutes then come back and tell me Luckywife, you've been reading to many spy novels, there is no such thing as a "shadow council" in municipal politics.

******************************************************************************************

And the last shall be first.

There is a shadow council. It hangs around and has discussions after meetings are over. It's the GOS. and has no legitimacy.

It has occurred to me pushing the town's business ever farther back might be sinister plot to make decisions after I 've left the Council Chamber

Then I think, Nah! Councillor McRoberts always hangs on until the end.

Quite simply , the Presiding member is incapable of running a meeting.

There's the obvious compulsion to refute every comment made by whoever, if it doesn't fit with the Mayor's contention.

Often a staff person will be set up to give an "expert" response to a point made in what might laughingly be called debate.

How does one call a point of order on the presiding member?

The situation is beyond redemption.

Any attempt to create order results in total mayhem. It's a public spectacle and reflects badly on one and all.

In the early months, Councillors and staff would be at the town hall until well after one in the morning and still the agenda wouldn't be completed.

If something is being accomplished I stay. If the meeting has deteriorated into round table chit-chat, I leave. Maintaining civility for three and a half hours in the face of the nonsensical
is my limit.

I feel as though I am abandoning town staff but it's better for them and for me to remove myself.

The point about the add-ons is well taken.A motion to suspend procedure to allow items to be added should require a two-thirds vote.

The add on to the add-on you noticed at the meeting referred to, was circulated by the Mayor prior to the meeting.

It was an extremely harsh critical comment on the Citizen Blog of the Mayor. I am not persuaded it had any right to be added to the in-camera agenda under any circumstances.

Politicians are criticized all the time. It's part of the territory. If it crosses the line there are legal options.

It is a civil matter.

It is not the business of the municipal administration.

But in Phyllilily land, all of the corporation's resources are hers to command.

It's how the title terminator came to be coined.

That's how it is, has been and will continue to be, until we change it.

What we have seen at the Council table is but the tip of the iceberg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always Evelyn, I thank you for your candor and patience answering my questions.

You blogged yesterday that the Tunaman recused himself from hearing the latest complaint against you. Was a reason given that you can share? Has he also recused his monthly stipend? How is the person now handling the complaint receiving payment for services? Do we have to pay another IC on top of what Tunaman is getting?

Luckywife