"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 28 February 2014

Keep 'Em Guessing

I've already said, if all things are the  same , I will be a candidate in the next election

I see no  special advantage in rushing out to register early.

Besides , at every election, I like to entertain thoughts  of making a bid for the Mayor's chair.

I can be tempted.

In my first bid for re-election to Council I learned two candidates  for the office of Reeve were knocking on doors in my neighborhood and telling people tey should not vote for moi.

Well... I thought... being young and feisty and knowing vey little ...if those two sweet fellows, are campaigning against my re-election,  I might as well run against them  for the office they're after.

So I did.

I won more votes than the two together and became last Reeve and County Councillor  in the last Council  in the history of  York County.

I ran for Mayor's office in the next election and  didn't make it. n the next election, I ran again for Council and came in with a substantial lead over all other Councillors.

I wasn't afraid then . I am  not afraid now.

I would like the current Mayor to contemplate the possibility of being defeated by an Octogenarian.

I know I could do the job better .

I think he does too which is what keeps him on edge.

My campaign would simply confirm the obvious .

Taxes are substantially higher than need be. We are not getting  what we are paying for.

This Council's emphasis has been  on spending  rather than saving .  And on pandering  to every special interest group that reared its head.

No second thoughts.

It is not in the tradition of Aurora.

Parrot everything  out of a lack of experience or learning and hope the voters are  not  listening.

Yes Yes... the idea is  alluring as ever.

No I am not afraid.

I will enjoy it a few months  more before I have to make a decision.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do not run for Mayor. you are perfectly placed as a councillor. We have to hope someone decides to do that heavy lifting. It is far too early for us to have any idea who might be in the running. I suspect that the current councillors are going to look back on that last race & finally realize just what a cake-walk it was for them.

Anonymous said...

Everyone must remember that in the grand scheme of things, a mayor is but one vote out of nine.

Any Mayoral candidate (or councillor for that matter) that says that they will reduce taxes is living in a fantasy world because they will never be able to do it on their own.

Don't be fooled by any of this.

Anonymous said...

Geez..Of course you would do a much better job as Mayor! But... You would need medication to help you through being a York Region Council member. The spending of taxpayers money there is sickening. Their creative accounting practices would put Deloitte and Touche out of business. Everything is “in-camera”, except for their patting themselves or some organization on the back for something or another. We would need at least a dozen of you to clean up York Regions mess.

Anonymous said...

12:57- Don’t be fooled into thinking that a Mayors seat is just “one vote”. There’s much more to the role than a vote. I would hate any seat on council taken by an incumbent.

Anonymous said...

We are all guessing. No one should register early for that very reason. I expect you aren't the only source of unease with the Council.

Anonymous said...


Blogs tend to provide the public with the opportunity to sound off about something they do not like. The tone becomes negative.

Sure, there are some positive comments but I would bet that the negative ones far outnumber the others.

What if we were to recognize members of the town's staff on the blog, someone who has gone out of their way to be helpful, who has taken a complaint and set about solving the problem, someone who smiles when talking to you.

We could even have an Employee of the Month, all done on this blog.

Anonymous said...

How about we call.out staff who are ignorant about our health.and safety.

Anonymous said...

You are handicapped with endless knowledge , frugality and a huge helping of common sense , no place for a politition of your stature any more, How sad is that?

Anonymous said...

21:41
I don't think we are allowed to single out individual staff because there is now some sort of management team that sits at the top & filters information in or out. [ when it works ]. But certainly residents are aware of how well the legal department appears to be managing despite situations which they were not likely trained to handle.

Anonymous said...

At the dinner table we were trying to figure out what platform the Mayor would use this time around. No one came up with anything better than ' Optimism '. It wasn't much of a discussion.

Anonymous said...

It's fun to watch Cllr Ballard. He is trying so hard to stay below the radar. I think he's hoping Aurorans will forget all his red herrings with expense acc'ts, trees and that stupid tower. But he is going to have trouble with those of residents who remember being labelled as ' a bunch of rubes '.

Anonymous said...

Run for Mayor Evelyn! You are head and shoulder above Mr. Dawe in all respects and you not only have the experience but also the leadership traits we are looking for in a mayor.

Anonymous said...

Buck for Mayor!