"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 17 February 2014

So...you think so...eh

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The best may yet become.":

Well, 19:54, we know which councillor doesn't have any influence like that, don't we?

*************


Do we now? 

When  I come home from  a  Committee   or  Council meeting, comments  are waiting  from people who have watched the meeting and have something to say about it.

In all the years I have been involved in town affairs, I have never had that  level of communication and assurance that my views are on line with  such a significant number of  taxpayers in the town. 

The community has never had access to line by line account of how their affairs are being handled by their elected representatives.

It is participatory democracy for sure.

I provide the platform . I fill in the pesky details  People like Tim the Enchanter and Ka-non and countless others provide the fuel that keeps the pot boiling.

Enemies accuse me of beating  up on the Mayor and  Councillors..

No such thing.

I do not put words into  anyone's mouth.

If their views do not reflect well , the fault is not mine, Fair Claudius.

I  merely continue the debate and open the dialogue to whoever wants to join in

It is as it should be. It has never been better.

Councillors need to hear how people  are seeing things.  They   need to listen.

They  hear from staff and consultants and the noisy ones with their over-arching sense of entitlement.

Manipulated  this way and that. they are anxious to  get it  right.

I've never known an elected representative who strove to make a bad impression.

They do the best they can within the glass bowl.

They need to know, if they follow their best judgement, there will be support.

I frequently  remind  the Mayor if I'm not allowed to contribute what I know at the Council table,  I do have another option.

No doubt people who read and comment to this blog are  also letting their Councillors know their views .

Councillors  are wise to listen.

If  decisions are influenced  I am content .

Whatever  skills and resources I have, I use  wherever ,in the best interest of the community.

Everything doesn't happen at the Council table.

Nor should it.

It's not about me or any individual  member of Council.

It's about the  community.

It's about doing  the best we know how...

Together

However that turns out.

Amen, my friend.

The last Council was an exception to all the rules.

Unfortunately, there are residuals.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Manitoba today, this is Louis Riel Day.
I think it's great that we have our own little rebellion.

Anonymous said...

As the little kids say, Councillor Gallo is ' doing it to his own self '
He argues against doing anything with the Library Square that might tie down a future council despite the matter being before him for this entire term & part of the last one.
Then he really, really urges Council to commit to the owners of those properties right now despite it being a horrendous amount of money with no research or public support.