"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Stephanie took the photos . Also posted them to the blog for me. 

I bought the bulbs at the 2014  Aurora Home Show. They  cost $10.00 for three or four but they were huge. I don't believe I ever spent so much for so few bulbs.

The bag stayed in the car. it wasn't the best plan. By the time  they were  planted, I wasn't really hopeful. Weeks went by and no signs of life emerged above ground. It was hardly surprising. The car was hot. 

This Spring pale green shoots appeared. They grew. Tall and spindly. Then clusters of buds appeared.

They grew ....and grew ....and  grew. Finally ,on Tuesday, Stephanie came into the house with a spectacular photo on her cell phone screen . The flowers were a deep and vibrant pink. Each petal sported a precise white  border. 

It was one of the lilies I thought had desiccated in the back seat of my car in a brown paper bag. 

Two days later the second bloomed...snow-white with dark red stamens. 

Then the third, as beautiful  as the second. 

So  I'm sharing.

I figure they deserve to be shared. 

Not just for their beauty. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. They are just lovely.

Anonymous said...

money well spent I would say!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you took good care of them with stakes for support - well done.

myonlyphoto said...

One word, they are resilient. White flower, especially lilies, like yours on the photo pure white, were always my favorite. I have this thing for white flower, and every year I end up with yellows, pinks, purples, reds but white. I think just because I buy them later to buy garden stuff 70% off and that's what is usually left. Thanks for sharing Evelyn, you have a very inviting backyard ;).