"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 4 December 2014

The Child was born in a stable and placed in a manger

When I was contemplating it  I read  what I could find about blogs . What was success?

As  a practising politician , I stood to lose from a blog without readers.

The most successful was being written by a man diagnosed with terminal illness.
He was chronicling his dying. His readership grew by thousands a day.

I never read it.

I had  support in the beginning from Heather Sisman. Illustrations were used . Then Heather got back on track with her own life and left to my own devices,words were  the mainstay.

I wrote what occupied my mind at the time.

I am told the blog is successful. I have no measurement. Readership rises and falls. Influenced in the main  by statutory holidays and controversy.  Nothing complex about that.

The circle of readers is wider than immediate . Likely confined to people with political bent Hopefully others have come into the fold. It was always the intent.

Now it is said if I change  direction from town affairs I will lose readers.

I  always felt confining myself to town affairs restricted  readership.

Once an impatient reader demanded I stop wasting my time on  municipal politics and write
seriously.

I was never more serious.

Someone suggests  reading my blog is like being " stuck in the seventies " obviously  a trial that had to be endured.

My answer ......do yourself a favour....go somewhere else for your reading pleasure.You will not hurt my feelings.

Today the comment  .... I am "not fit to be a woman in the 21st century"

 How would one define   " fit to be a woman of the 21st century"  or a man either .

What are the standards of this modern society where everything ,bar none, is governed by the almighty dollar ?

Night before last,the final comment on Global News , always meant to be light , featured  Christmas trees in wealthy homes.

The first tree cost a $1,000.  Gold and silver ornamentation was proudly described by the home  owner in the two storey space of a modern mansion, which  brought the price to $10,000.

In a second home four sets of grandchildren were coming for Christmas. Four  equally extravagant trees were on display

Nothing  recently  has filled me with greater revulsion.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The end of an old year. The beginning of a new writing life for you. There will be plenty of ups and downs but the same applied to politics.

Anonymous said...

Who is going to drive around town this year and try to judge which streets[s] have the best lighting for the season ? The town has become so large that it might take a few evenings unless the judge[s] stick with the central core.

Anonymous said...

I see no reason for you not to select topics as they come along. Maybe dealing with Aurora one time and then something entirely different.

Anonymous said...

I suppose the majority of your posts have been about town business which I've enjoyed for years, but I've loved your posts about when you were a little girl, your family and places you've visited over the years. Write to your hearts content Evelyn! It's your blog. If you lose a few readers... oh well, their loss. But for some reason I think you might even gain a few.

Anonymous said...

19:08

All we can do is wish her well & lend a hand with comments. Too many just take without contributing.

Anonymous said...

There is a great moon tonight if you can catch it between the clouds drifting over it.

Anonymous said...

@17:11

#firstworldproblems

Anonymous said...

20:20-agreed.

Anonymous said...

21:47
Now I know. it's called a hash-tag & a lazy way to group topics.

Heather said...

Your words are all you need 😃