"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Sometimes the point needs to be made

At the time of her activities in Aurora, the St Kitts woman was reported to have commented that I was prejudiced against her because she is a Jewish woman living with a black man.

Until that moment in time, I had no idea she was Jewish nor was I aware of her living arrangement.

When I was commenting on the line-up of entertainers at Church Street School, the only familiar name was Sylvia Tyson.

I asked Stephanie if she knew anything about Dan Hill or Dala . She didn!t. I had an impression, because of  Sylvia Tyson I suppose, of a country singer.

I had no idea he was either black or gay until I was accused of prejudice because  he is black and gay.

Who knew?

It's easy to call people names  Like throwing stones or sticks. Children do it. Adults too if they  have nothing else to contribute.

On the odd occasion I may publish such a comment to make the point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...


I would have thought you would have avoided mentioning "that woman" by name like the plague.

The above sentence is terrible grammar, but so what.

I was making a point.

Anonymous said...

Who in blazes thought you were being prejudiced ? I'm sure you were not the only person not familiar with the name. I had to look it up after I stopped laughing about charging something like $25-$30 to listen to Dan Hill. We had Glass Tiger and everyone in our family knew who they were & we did not have to pay an admission price to hear them either

Anonymous said...

I am by no means a fan of Dan Hill's music. However, I can certainly tell you that I know who he is. Anyone that has a passing knowledge of Canadian music should know who he is. If you have never heard of Dan Hill, then perhaps you spend too much time on the blogs - you need to get out of your parents' basements.

By the way Evelyn, I don't think Dan Hill's wife would agree with you that he is gay.

His song "Sometimes When We Touch" reached #3 on the Billboard top 100 chart in 1977 for crying our loud.

He has a brother who is an author and one of his books was turned into a mini-series about to hit the CBC called "The Book of Negroes".



Anonymous said...

Only the Shadow knows who is gay or not. As you mentioned no one really cares.
# 3 in '77 - really impressive - not