"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 9 July 2010

Another Memory

I visited Leksand in Sweden years ago. I stayed in the home of a Judge and his high school teacher wife.I paid my own way.

The system of justice is different in that country, starting with the education system. A student chooses to be a judge. On graduation from university, he/she acts in minor capacity in the system.

Decisions are monitored . When a vacancy occurs at a senior level, he or she may be recommended on the basis of quality of judgement exhibited over a lengthy period, twelve
years, I think.

Swedish judges sit with a number of citizens on either side. Each with equal input into a decision. It is truly a judgement of peers, with guidance on law from the Judge.

We spent a Saturday in the court house, learning of various aspects of Swedish law, including inheritance. It was an interesting contrast to how I understand it in Canada.

At the time we were there, legislation had been passed any person discovered in charge of a vehicle with alcohol in their system, immediately had the vehicle confiscated.

I was impressed with the wholehearted support of the community for the new legislation.

It wasn't the only thing that impressed me.

No comments: