"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 24 July 2010

Names Or No Names

Despite the severity of my demeanour, I am not as dour as I look. It's all in the genes. I don't have my grandfather's features but I have his look.

It says "you'd better have a good answer "

The older I grow, the fiercer it is. Just like himself. When I was in Tacoma, my grand-daughter Vanessa , who hadn't seen me for a while, would mimic my look and say with a laugh; "Grannie, you look so mean?"

I know what she meant. But the only thing I can think to do about it is practice a benign smile. I don't think it would work. A person can't fight what nature has endowed.

Well, not without spending a fortune on people with sharp knives.

Anyway, I don't feel mean. I'm very content to be where I am . If I get good answers, I 'm even happier.

Some things though are a burden. I hate it when politicians' butts are covered by right of privacy for others, staff in particular . Citizens have the rihjt as well, as long they don't come before Council and project themselves onto the public stage to launch an attack.

In the post about our former communications director, I used her name. It made her real. Less like a cypher. I didn't say anything to hurt her. I was telling of how she had been hurt, at our hands, in our name.

I didn't ask permission. Then she would have had a voice in the telling. Because I didn't and it was partly her story, I decided, after a while, I should remove her name .

The posterior of Morris and Mac Eachern are once again protected but without quite the same coverage they had before.

I do not hate those women. Hatred is corrosive to the spirit.The Lord commands us to love our neighbors.

The Lord knows I try. But Oh My Good Lord, I hate the things those two do to people.

I hate even more, they can do it behind closed doors. By a majority vote, they can drag everyone else down with them and bring shame to our community.

No comments: