"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 28 March 2011

A Quandary of Significant Proportions....Like In The Millions

Tonight  the budget will likely be approved. It has to happen at some point. I have not been able to support a budget for four years. I may not be able to support this one either I may have to cut my losses and hold my tongue.

 I have copies of the 2010 and 2009 budgets in the house. I spent the day yesterday cross checking items in the three, this year's,last year's and the year's before.It  was not an easy task. There's  ample cause  to give me pause and definition.

I have stated  before, I did not agree with last year's re-organisation of the administration. I considered  the exercise dis-organisation. In my judgment, there was no higher intent than to denigrate certain officers of the corporation and elevate others. It was the final solution to bringing everyone to heel.

Responsibilities were  transferred from people with  skills to  people without. Those whose jobs were reduced  did not lose remuneration  and those whose skills were deficient had theirs increased and status elevated.

To compensate for the deficiency, new managers were  to be hired.

So we have people whose skills are under-utilised  receiving salaries commensurate with their skills and people without skills, over-compensated and raised high in the scheme of things.

I know it because I was there.  I watched it happen. I have paid close attention since to the results.

They are not good. Considerable time is spent in senior executive training. Hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent in never-ending consultant studies.

I think when people reach the level of officers of the corporation,they should be functioning at the level of teaching others and planning for the future.

Consultants are not gurus in the field of consultancy. For the most part, they are displaced municipal personnel. They have to make a living and many municipalities cannot afford to have highly trained staff complement.

In the midst of this and because of this, we have a Council with six new members. Former members responsible for the current circumstance were  relieved of their authority.

There are those who believe it's a good thing for Councillors to be without experience. In certain instances, it is better than the alternative.It is however problematic.

There is among people  in  general, an antipathy towards  unhappy and disturbing information.Politicians are just people in general.

I myself have been scolded for continuing to refer to the past and urged to look towards the future.

Therein lies my dilemma.

Do I point to the obvious and prove my case knowing  full well how difficult that will be for eager neophytes to comprehend. Even if they want to.

Or do I keep my  own counsel, smile brightly and aplaud the emperor's  new clothes.

Or do I  do the best I can. say as little as I need to  and vote against the budget for reasons  known only to myself.  Believing that whatever I say at this point in time will have little influence and may even be detrimental.

Only in politics, is telling the truth not always the best policy. Sometimes, it's a liability.

3 comments:

Anonymoose said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Please tell the truth Evelyn. Don't give up now.

Bullwinlkes Blind said...

I'm sorry but this antler eating swamp creature shows about as much intelligence as its first cousin ,
Hard to believe you would allow this drivel the time of day on your site.
Oh but that’s right Ev you just need to start going with the flow , Agree for the sake of interaction and agreement, work in harmony, tell the world how marvelous everything is, Who cares about experience and wisdom ,those are useless old traits, just piss the tax payers money away at will and then lets watch the moose choke on its antlers