"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 22 March 2011

What's in a Prayer?

 Dear God in Heaven!  Holy Mary Mother Of God!  Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

They're selling tickets in Newmarket  for a  Prayer Breakfast with the Mayor.

Did ye ever hear the like of it?

What would the ticket be for I wonder? The Prayer with the Mayor?  Or the breakfast? I wonder if  points are given.

The paper says there are still  tickets left. If they can't sell them ,will they give them away I wonder to some poor soul who might not have breakfast that day.

Will they invite him in?

They had something like that in Aurora last year. Council was asked to endorse it. I heard the tickets were not inclusive. Some folk  thought that wasn't nice.

I  couldn't imagine  what the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast was about  so I wasn't sure if  it was nice or not.

Maybe everybody wouldn't want to be included.

They said the Mayor was going to pray for the council.

A Member  cried  out  in Council once " Oh My God "  Another member gasped in  horror.  The Mayor accused the supplicant  of taking the Lord's name in  vain.  "Inappropriate language' , she called it

I'm  sure it was a fervent plea sent  heavenward for endurance in the face of a particular test.

In fact, I'm certain , a pair of us  appealed to a number of deities  on many an occasion. Whatever it takes, to get you through , don't you know.

It  makes me wonder if a Mayor's Prayer might be different and that's why they're selling tickets.

Aye well... Saints Preserve Us! There's  aye room for something new.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, surely you were invited to the Mayor's prayer breakfast that was held in Aurora last year?

Her Holiness, I mean Her Highness, I mean Her Worship would have loved for you to be there.

Fear not if you did miss it, this year's event looms.