"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 11 September 2011

Crosby Stills and Nash and Norman Jewison

You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye

Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

*********************

The highlight of my Labour Day week-end was watching  Fiddler On The Roof. I've lost count of the  times I've seen  it.

The first  was in the old movie theatre on Main Street, Newmarket. I went twice in one week. The Aurora Theatre group did it on stage. I went. Every time it's on television, I watch it.

The  story,,,,music.... lyrics...  pathos ...drama... wit...dialogue . scenery....and characters .are all unforgettable.

I  recite  the lines and   sing along the songs while I watch.

Golda, do you love me?
The first time I saw you , was on our wedding day.
I was shy.

So was I

But my father and my mother said we'd learn to love each other

Golda.... Do you love me.

I suppose I do

It doesn't change a thing but after twenty-five years.  it's nice to know.

**********************

It's the relevance and  reality that captures my heart. It's about    iron-clad traditions. one after the other, faltering and  changing by a father's  love for his children;  and the children's  need for a father's love and approval.

It's about the triumph of life over death. Of light over darkness.

**********************

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fine embroidery of life.

Anonymous said...

Colour Purple Superb. Director needs work on
normal relationships.