"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 3 March 2012

Hey,look Me Over..Lend Me Your Ear.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Deed Is Done":
"His actions argue that he must have been ... deliberately doing something that injured Aurora."
5:18, I'm not a lawyer, but the above statement appears to exceed mere criticism and reads as a serious accusation of malfeasance.
Yes, Councillor Buck is upset, but publishing that comment was reckless and potentially damaging to a person's reputation.

**************
Who says I'm upset.  Taking a strong position ... sticking to it ...telling everyone who cares to listen, why I think I'm right.I enjoy what I'm doing. The fight's not over.

Everything a politician does has the effect of damaging his/her reputation with somebody. People have different opinions. Not everybody recognizes a politician's right to have an opinion. They think  politicians should do what people tell them to do and not exercise personal  judgement.

Some politicians strive to give that appearance. 
 
You acknowledge you are not a lawyer. That's a good start.  You contend a statement "appears to exceed mere criticism and reads as an accusation of malfeasance "

A  judge would have to  make that decision.

I have a different understanding of malfeasance.

If a Councillor uses political office , exploits access to confidential information he would not normally have, and sells it or otherwise trades it for financial or other advantage, that is malfeasance.

If a municipality is engaged in litigation and a councillor  deliberately  conveys information he would not otherwise have, save that he is a councillor,  to an  opposing party for consideration of favours or payment of any kind,  that is malfeasance.

Councillor Thompson is accused of no such thing, Nor is any other councillor.

Anonymous  takes the position that the Councillor's vote  was not in the best interest of the town.

He's entitled to say that.

It is not an accusation of wrong-doing.

It's just a strong manifestation of a different opinion.

I publish  many comments critical of Councllors. and anyone else who puts themselves in the spotlight. Including myself.

If I withheld criticism of a Councillor  or the  Mayor  while freely publishing criticism of others, what would that say about the blog,

Actually, it  doesn't really matter what I publish, whoever is being criticized is resentful.

I do not expect otherwise.

Some are resentful because I write the blog.They don't think its right that I should.

Some comment on the blog while carefully avoiding  the fact I provide the opportunity or even that I exist.

This is a blog about what's going on in our town. As I see it

 I am not  painting  pretty pictures to make everyone feel cosy and secure. I want people to pay attention. It's not my intention to lull anyone into a false sense of security.

If I don't think the right decisions are being made and  don't appreciate how they are being made, no-one should expect I will  hold my tongue.

Don't take me for a fool.

The public's business is public.They  are entitled to know.

 Last term , an expression was coined to encourage people to be environmentally conscious.

Shop as if the world is watching.

 I thought it was particularly apropos to  how we should  handle ourselves as elected representatives.

Think, speak and vote as if the whole  town is watching

Because that is their right.

I hang my hat on that conviction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When they are unable to debate the merits, which is frequently, an immediate attempt is made to derail the discussion onto some petty little squabble. There is a marked aversion to facts which should be avoided at all costs. But they cannot resist the Lure of the Blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens' Rogers got it right this time. Imagine if we were dealing with the usual hit and miss stuff in which they pack it in after an hour or so. I can almost forgive them for showing the hockey game first so that everyone was up late - almost.