"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 5 March 2012

Missing the point.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Shades Of The Past":

Space for the Farmers' Market meeting, I can see, for the present. But The Rangers have the old Hydro Building, do they not

************

 You have missed the point entirely.

Any organization can apply to use meeting rooms  in the town hall...and pay a  user fee like everyone else.

By  Councillors booking the space , the user  fee as bypassed and favoured organizations get to use the space free.

I don't know how long this has been going on. Or if it has  happened  before in this term.

I do know that in 2006 ,I offered a workshop of several sessions to voters  contemplating   candidacy  in the upcoming election and the usual suspects on council were pretty uptight about the Council chamber being used for an ulterior purpose.

No fees were charged. I volunteered my time for what I thought was a helpful community purpose. 

Nobody told me then I had a right to book the chamber free  to allow it to be used by a favoured  organizations to escape paying the user fee.

How could that  pass in the light of day to be enscribed as a town policy?

Yet, apparently it has. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mayor Dawe appears to have drunk from the Waters of Lethe. He has lost his bearings.

Anonymous said...

Mayor Dawe is doing the best job he can and I would suggest to you that we should be thankful that Morris is not still in charge.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ballard – Mormac - Macmor will take a run at the chair so count your blessings now if he or they should be successful.