"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 13 May 2014

The Solution Is Imminent

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Let's See You Try":

I'm curious about what caused your '180' on this. You were singing an entirely different tune three years ago. From the Banner:

"Councillor Evelyn Buck, on the other hand, wasn’t quite so enthusiastic about the idea, exclaiming, “With any luck, the damn thing will crumble to pieces where it sits.”

The town has unsuccessfully tried to find a use for the building since 2003, she said, adding its original location makes it a part of the Township of Whitchurch’s history rather than Aurora’s."

******************

I know I said  it would be the last word  but I can't resist this. 

I said everything  reported in The Banner and a lot more besides . I  indicated  I might poke it with my cane and bring the building crumbling down. Had I been using a scooter at the time   I might have threatened to bulldoze it with my trusty chariot.

It wasn't so much a "use", as a party interested  in  taking the building that couldn't be found. I made several  suggestions  to draw attention to the dilemma. 

The offer of $50,000 from the developer brought cause for pause. 

A location within a park came  forward at the same time.

It was understood  it  would be hard to reverse my position.  It was also known I was the  only one reckless enough to take the risk.

$50,000 is a substantial sum.  That might be the cost of removing the  building  and have nothing to show.

I remember thinking, if we restore it  and  give it  prominence,someone might be interested in paying a good price.

That's still a possibility. But I don't think it's the right one.

I like  the house where it  sits.  Heat and light and toilet facilities can be provided at no great capital outlay.

I have no idea why colleagues are hesitant  but I'm  certain a decision will be made soon.

If I were President  I would  turn the building over to the Special Events co-ordinator to-morrow and have a conference with her about possibilities the day after.

No  further farting about.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are suggesting that the bus has a driver. It would be nice if direction could be given but I have seen none since the planning of the town birthday.

Anonymous said...

It would be super if they could get it dealt with after so much money, time, effort and hot air has been expended. Just so there will be one less item lurking for the next council.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone considered the Senior Center? They do a create job with their events, their physically neighbors, haven’t heard of any fiscal or political boondoggles with their group….Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Tool/potting shed for the arboretum?

Anonymous said...

18:18
Why not ? Maybe no one has asked them but they do have a writer for the Auroran who could perhaps advise if they are interested. If Flo were still there, there might have been an idea sent to Council. Works for me.

Anonymous said...

The town lost revenue when Bingo was shut down. Could we have a neat Bingo Hall not dependant on an outside provider ?

Anonymous said...

18:18 - Great idea.

Anonymous said...

The Senior Centre is a good idea. From what I hear they are getting fed up with paying the Centre to " learn " how to make hats. No one wears hats anymore and they already have talents.