"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 13 June 2014

Blogging has its trials and tribulations

Comments have become a  definite feature of the blog.  It' s a good thing.

Moderating has  become a substantial  chore and responsibility.

Especially when the exchange  is between comments identified by time posted.

I have to  flip back and forth to  follow the thread and see what was said  by 17.90 p.m., or whatever .
to understand the context  in order to "moderate" the comment. 

If a comment is really ugly  it's a  no-brainer.

Sometimes my finger hits ever so slightly below publish and  there's an accidental deletion. 

I  may copy and paste  it to a post but that's a confounded nuisance.

If  deletion  happens  for no apparent reason I would appreciate a repeat  so that I can undo my error. 

Sometimes I don't understand the context .Then I think it may have landed like a butterfly by mistake. 

I deleted one about the resident trollster having made some good points...I couldn't follow that one. 

So I made an admittedly biased judgement .

I am not comfortable with  anonymous personal criticism . If I do it, my target knows it's me and can fight back. If  I didn't do  it , I become the target for something I didn't do.

A comment might be thoughtful and arguable  and right  smack in the middle there's a shot at  a councillor ....then I have a problem  with deletion. So I publish  hoping it won't be noticed and I 
won't be blamed.  Of course I know that's not going to happen. 

I  am not personally hostile towards any Councillor.  Without exception , all are perfectly 
civil and save when they're mad at me, congenial.

I will fight anybody on a political  issue.  My mother used to say "That yin would fight wi' her ain shadow"

But my life is not blighted with the weight of  hatred.

That's a terrible waste/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never fuss about knocking our comments off. Sometimes it gets quite silly, like at the dinner table, with people repeating themselves. When you take me off periodically, it does absolutely no damage. Often it is even well-timed.

Anonymous said...

We keep hearing that anonymous comments count for nothing. If so, why not just publish them all?