"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 23 June 2014

The Best Is yet To Come

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "I Remembered Something Else.":


Mayor Dawe has a Notice of Motion on the Agenda for tomorrow's Council meeting that deals quite specifically with the Town's annual insurance premium. What is not stated so clearly is that the reference is to liability insurance to protect staff and elected officials against legal action that may be brought against them.

'NOW THEREFORE BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED THAT BFL Canada, being the Town's insurer, be requested to publicly present updated information to Council as soon as possible regarding significant insurance matters/claims affecting the Town directly, including any amounts and legal costs paid to date for existing claims, and ways to reduce the Town's insurance premium in future years."

As to your question about a personal conflict of interest insofar as the six defendants in your action against them are being defended at taxpayers' cost under the town's liability insurance policy, you should seek counsel from your lawyer.

Obviously, as a member of Council you have a legitimate right to know and access any and all documentation in connection with the town's insurance coverage, liability or otherwise, but you are in the unusual position of being the plaintiff against the six.

I would guess from figures in the press during the past few years that costs could run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The judge in the inquiry against the Mississauga mayor suggested in his report that there should be an option for the office of the Attorney General to be involved, so 

that individual citizens didn't have to mortgage their homes when pursuing a perceived breach

Posted by Anonymous to Our Town and Its Business at 23 June 2014 20:27


**************************'''''


I know what my lawyers must say if I ask them.  

Say nothing  to anybody about anything. Let us do our job.

 But It's s-o-o-o-o  hard. 

It's been five years.

I'm used to fighting my own battles. 

It's hard to sit quietly in the background.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Fontano case took 9 years & that was over a pittance, not an issue of governance.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I know that waiting game. Frustrating was just for a couple of weeks into the beginning of the whole process. Anger was more like it for me. And even after the courts ruled in our favor (7yrs), I don’t think it really left (2yrs later). The whole system needs to be torn apart and revamped. It gave me an extra layer of thick skin, and unfortunately I am less trusting. That being said, I learned who my friends really were and my family really were my rocks of strength. I've been asked if I would do it again…..You bet I would!

Anonymous said...

Seems the mayor is determined to make the insurance company more accountable for rising premiums. Wish he was more determined to hold himself accountable for rising premiums to the taxpayers.

Water rates,for example,have been going up significantly year over year. He sits at regional council and has done nothing about these rising premiums. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard him utter a word on the topic.

Maybe the insurance issue is just a distraction. He knows how the insurance business works - they don't pay claims for fun!

Anonymous said...

12:31
Back at you. U always got a place here.

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Cllr Humfryes did not know Jim Elder's name ! I thought she grew up in Toronto.

Yes, You Said It said...

What are "acoustic children"? Noisy kids?

Anonymous said...

When the going gets tough, Cllr Humfryes greases the wheels with a few thousand more dollars and Cllr Thompson refers back to staff.

Anonymous said...

To 2013 I hope you didnt hear that.I believe he meant Autistic children.

Anonymous said...

20:03
My class of grade 2's

Anonymous said...

christopher is up again

Anonymous said...

09:15, I did hear it. Cllr Buck said it, and I believe she did mean "autistic."

Anonymous said...

Oh, for heaven's sake. Are we going to get into another petty squabble about a word ?

Anonymous said...

11:21
Nope. It is just the troll talking to itself.