"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 9 June 2014

Listen up, guys

KA-NON has left a new comment on your post "It's Not Fair":

I was at the "debate" on Saturday, though it was less a debate and more a question and answer session, polite almost to a point of fault.

I agree that this was probably the worst I have ever seen Mr. Baxter. I can only assume that he meant to come across as funny ("all shook up", "thank you, thank you very much"), but in fact he came across simply as pathetic. Though he has no shame I am sure - really, how could he - he really OUGHT to be ashamed of himself.

The Green candidate was very thoughtful and likeable, even if he did begin every answer (and I mean EVERY answer) with "so". This can seem condescending (e.g. let me dumb down my message so that you will all understand), though it wasn't in this case. Nice guy, will finish 4th in all likelihood, maybe 3rd.

It was my first opportunity to hear Ms. Twinney speak. While very likeable, and seemingly genuine, she was really not very good on her feet. She was most comfortable when she was on the one talking point that seemed to matter, which is that we need to, above all other things, eliminate the debt. It was clear that her marching orders for the day were to turn every question into a debt question. If she is to win this, it will be on the strength of Mr. Klees' endorsement, name recognition in the larger of the two constituent communities, and getting out the conservative vote, which my instincts tell me is the tougher of the vote to mobilize, particularly in affluent Aurora.

Whatever your opinion of Mr. Ballard, it was clearly obvious that he was the most capable in this 

format. He had a perspective on each point that was actually related to the question asked. In a real debate, with the usual accompanying parry and thrust, I suspect that he may have gotten shouted down by Reverend Elvis, probably to the point where he would have exhibited even more aggressive body-language and verbal ordnances than the usual posture and awkwardness that we have come to recognize from him, which was on display in its usual measure on Saturday.

I wouldn't care to boldly predict who will win this in Newmarket-Aurora. Based on phone calls and door-knocking, it appears to me that the Liberals are better organized, so I might give them the slight edge, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it, that's for sure!

Posted by KA-NON to Our Town and Its Business at 9 June 2014 10:49

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with some of what KA-NON say. What struck me was how poorly prepared ALL the candidates were when dealing with very simple questions . Hats off to the moderators for trying to get some life & light into the debate.