"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Pollyanna? .. Absolutely not.

Voters make the rules in election politics. A  politician must listen to learn.

The last election was an aberration like the term of office that preceded it.

Something I read triggered a memory this morning.

 The former Mayor glowered across the table in my direction and said;

"I have had a conversation with the Police Chief. The  regional police have authority to search a person's home"

The comment was apropos of nothing .A less seasoned politician would have felt the threat .

Certainly  an unwary listener might  easily have wondered and never guessed  the explanation.

The  current term has been an improvement over the last but not  in the  context  the current  Mayor and Council might wish.

Voters  make the  rules in an election. They don't vary much. A  politician would -be if he/she could-be will hear  them if they listen. 

If they give you time and attention , the rules are as follows;

 do not ask how they intend to  vote. 

Do not attempt to tell  them how to vote. 

Tell them about yourself .

Don't  tell them why they shouldn't vote for  another candidate. 

Not everyone who gives  you the time of day intends to vote but everyone has the right and  respect is due. 

First impressions are physical.  If you are knocking  to bring a person to the door, how you project matters .

Campaigning on foot was never my forte. Less so  now than ever before. 

I  don't make promises. I have but a voice and a single vote.  

I will defend my position.  

I  don't attack other candidates.  

We are all out there  engaged in the same pursuit with the same objective.

It's easier for some than others but it's not a walk for anyone. 

We all court public rejection. 

I have to make a  new decision about the blog. 

Town issues are par for the political course and will  continue to be vigorously discussed. 

Hotly disputed positions are welcome.

Personal attacks  are off limits.  

I can't let the blog say what I would not say myself  on the campaign trail. 

It's open for discussion 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan. I wish you had staff though. It could get quite heavy on the Blog unless you just shut us down when you want/need a break. I can't remember but I think the Citizen could go quiet for quite a while without any problems. Please do make some defensive rules for your own sanity.

Anonymous said...

I do hope you have a post-it on the sIde of your computer reading THIS IS MY BLOG !!